The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM

fishtheworld is on a distinguished road
Default Trout ID needed

Hi All,

Can anybody ID this trout for me. Im not sure which species it is. I caught it in a river on the Olympic Peninsula.

Thanks

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trout ID needed

pic didn't open for me.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 PM

all sorted now, its working
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

Looks like a rainbow to me. I catch wild ones like that all the time in SoCal.
williamhj likes this.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Bow. Rainbow!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 PM

Thanks for that. Ive not caught wild rainbows before. The white strip on the anal fin confused me.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Correct me if I am wrong, but usually the white strip on the anal and pectoral fin indicate wild trout, whereas stockers don't have that.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It is a rainbow but its pronounced par markings suggest it is of the migratory, steelhead, variety.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm with s&s on this one, the big eye on the thing caught my eye too. In addition to what Greg said about the white stripe, another indicator of the possibility of it being wild is the pristine state of the fish's fins. The fins of stockers get beat up from being packed in with all their brothers and sisters competing for little chunks of food falling from the heavens (aka their pellet hoppers). I don't know if they clip adipose fins on the stockers see in that part of the country, but that is a dead giveaway for stocked fish where they do it.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-11-2012, 11:37 AM

Thanks all for the information.