The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 AM

onyxweb is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing in the US

Hi,

My little brother (41 and 2" taller than me!) is on a bit of a road trip in the US, and wants to go fly fishing.

He mentioned this to me, and I suggested I posted his route here, in the hope that someone might be able to offer some local assistance to Mystery River/Lake X & Y!

He says, "our preferred route is Denver, up the Rockies across to Mt Rushmore, then Yellowstone, Yosemite, Napa Valley (California's vineyards hic) then San Francisco, probably fishing in Yellowstone and/or Yosemite and anywhere in between, could pass through Aspen and Boulder areas in Colorado as well after Denver...not set in stone though"

If anybody had any bright ideas, I'd be hugely grateful.

Thanks,

bass
Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fishing in the US

When simply passing through, the best way will be to locate fly fishing shops in each destination town and ask at each where to go.

Welcome to the forum,

ARd

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Onyxweb:

Here is something to keep in mind in traveling the West, with a mind toward flyfishing etc.

Picture this as a physical junction for travel.

At Denver Colorado, you find the major intersection and crossroads of your East/West and North/South Interstates.

I-25 goes north and South through Denver, up and down the front range of the Rockies in Colorado and on North.

I 70 goes East & West through Denver.

I-25 runs along the Eastern Slope of the entire Rocky Mountain Range. East of I-25 in Colorado, there isn't much Fly Fishing to do, unless you want a man-made reservoir etc. It's all dry prairie. Interstate I-76 goes diagonally, to the Northeast (or from it) along the South Platte River on the dry Eastern Plains, but that isn't much of a fly fishing recommendation. I-76 goes into and from Nebraska. There's a nice Cabela's store just inside the Nebraska line, but not much Fly Fishing in that part of Eastern Colorado that I know of.

Now, for the purposes of your trip, you said that you were going further North to Mt. Rushmore. That's way north in South Dakota.

My point being, that you can't do so much fly fishing out of Denver Colorado, unless you go West of Denver, and get into the Rocky Mountains themselves, and actually you need to go a couple hours and even four or five hours West into the Rockies, to find the good Fly Fishing you want in Colorado.
From there, travel North is not as smooth or straight as the aforementioned Interstates. Of course, you will hear about the "Miracle Mile".
In Montana, there's nice water like that in a good deal more abundance.

So, if you are going North anyway, I recommend you skip Denver, because I would, and you might consider just getting into Montana. The Rivers are bigger, faster, more loaded with all the fish you could dream of and in greater abundance.

Oh sure, somebody or other will boast of the "Gold Medal" and "premier" fly fishing rivers of Colorado. And you can go there too. I just wouldn't complare this to what exists farther North in the Rocky Mountain Range in Montana.

I might take some heat for my remarks, but for the distance travelled, and for the cost, why hit a major urban area like Colorado? On the weekends, the legendary waters of the South Platte can get a little pressure from the party people going "Tubing".

When I set foot in my first Montana River last February, I could not believe it.
Montana Rivers make Colorado's South Platte look like some Indiana Creek, where I grew up, and I am not kidding.

I fished a Creek in Montana, a little 'creek" mind you, with holes 8 feet deep. I'm just saying, that since you're going to be so far North anyway, get into where its really hot fishing.

By the way, when I hitch-hiked across the USA many years ago, I saw Mt. Rushmore, and thought; "Gee whiz, it's so little. What's all the fuss about?
That little thing? I mean its nice, but it ain't no big deal!"

So if you are going up North, put your time, money and effort into a legendary experience.

I hope this is helpful to you. By the way, you can find YouTube videos that show exactly what I am writing about, as far as the Size of the Rivers goes.

So because I was in Montana for a few days last winter, I insisted to take chance.
Visiting the Cabelas, I made my $1,000 dollar outlay for a new Fly Rod, Reel, and all the tackle. The salesman recommended a pink Scud in size...mmm 16 I think. I hooked a little rainbow on my first cast with that and had many hits thereafter. The River was so big, wide and deep that I couldn't believe it. I just had no idea, being a Denver Resident and seeing the Rivers in Colorado. all these years.

There were big fish all around me rising from time to time, but being a bit of a novice, I didn't know what to use. I knew I was in Fish-Heaven though.

Last edited by brucerducer; 09-16-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:31 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my 'reality check' for folks who are new to the Western United States .... IT'S DAMNED BIG! Example: From my home in Southern Oregon (Medford area) to drive to Hamilton, Montana (Bitterroot river) it's exactly 800 miles (16 hours of hard driving). To give you another example of that, if I got on I-5 at the California boarder (just south of me) the same drive (distance) would put me at the Mexican Boarder.

Best to determine a route/general location(s) and concentrate on just a few places unless fishing is totally secondary to the overall trip.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

fredaevans,

Like Hardyreels said -here are a couple of links and some info on places of interest along the BIG road...

Frying Pan Anglers for Aspen fly fishing and Basalt fly fishing, fly fishing outfitters, Frying Pan fishing reports, Roaring Fork Fishing reports, fly fishing techniques, Frying Pan, Roaring Fork and Colorado, fly fishing trips, guided fishing trips

Taylor Creek Fly Shops, Colorado Fly Fishing

Blue Ribbon Flies

Click the image to open in full size.

Leland Sonoma Fly Fishing Ranch Educational Center

The above is in Napa County...the better wines are in Sonoma County around this town:

I was just there this past weekend for my son's wedding...

This is a must in San Francisco for breakfast or brunch:

suppenküche

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Here's my 'reality check' for folks who are new to the Western United States .... IT'S DAMNED BIG!
What he said! If you really want to make it a fly fishing trip, choose a region or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxweb View Post
Yosemite, Napa Valley (California's vineyards hic) then San Francisco
Yosemite is a beautiful area. The fishing can be good. The streams in the valley are stocked with stupid trout. If you want a wild fish, you are going to hike into the high country.

Napa Valley is a great place to get drunk. Same with my deck. The best fishing there is going to be at the private ponds at the Leland Ranch.

San Francisco is a fun town. As for the fishing, don't expect any wild trout fishing.

If you want to do some wild trout fishing, do a Google search for Lower Sacramento River, Lower American River, Lower Yuba River, Lower Feather River, Truckee River, Stanislaus River. These are not "Mystery River/Lake X & Y," but they are fine waters to fish.

To get the best of these waters, you may want to choose a guide. If you want to fish the Northern California region, feel free to ask for suggestions. I know a lot of quality guides.

Dennis
Old 09-20-2012, 01:45 AM

onyxweb is on a distinguished road

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed. I'll let you know how he gets on thanks.

Bass
Old 09-20-2012, 12:04 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Here's my 'reality check' for folks who are new to the Western United States .... IT'S DAMNED BIG! Example: From my home in Southern Oregon (Medford area) to drive to Hamilton, Montana (Bitterroot river) it's exactly 800 miles (16 hours of hard driving). To give you another example of that, if I got on I-5 at the California boarder (just south of me) the same drive (distance) would put me at the Mexican Boarder.

Best to determine a route/general location(s) and concentrate on just a few places unless fishing is totally secondary to the overall trip.
I agree. The driving distance diagonally corner to corner across just the state of Montana would be like driving from Chicago to New York City.

Foreign visitors especially from Europe have no idea. I know a bit of German from spending 6 months at an overseas university program. Here's a conversation I overheard amongst some German tourists.

I was following a family from Germany that was visiting Yellowstone Park. They were looking at a map of the USA and the father was suggesting that they take a trip to see San Francisco the next day and then return to Yellowstone the next day. The distance from Yellowstone to San Francisco did not take up much space on a map of the USA apparently and they were used to looking at a map of Western Europe.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy