The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   3wt fly rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/296628-3wt-fly-rod.html)

kraker1221 09-13-2012 05:00 PM

3wt fly rod

im looking for a good 3wt fly rod for brookies. i was thinking no more then $500. any help would be great.

axle27 09-13-2012 05:10 PM

Re: 3wt fly rod

Wow...that's opens up alot of options. You should go Bamboo. I have a 6ft-6in 3wt that is just plain awesome.

PM me and I'll get you a link.

chased 09-13-2012 05:22 PM

$500 is able to get you pretty much anything you desire besides some bamboo, provided you do a little searching online. Can you tell us a little more about the fishing conditions? Is the area open enough to use a longer rod without too much trouble? I frequently fish tight tree and brush choked streams and find that a short fiberglass rod really shines in this area. I use a Scott F2 6'6" 3wt for this type of fishing and it is an absolute blast.

-Chase

chi flyfisher 09-14-2012 08:50 AM

If you are looking for a short 3 weight that is ideal for Brookies I have an excellent Sage 373-3 SLT for sale. You have a ton of options at your price point.

44runner 09-24-2012 08:36 AM

One of my favorite rods is my Redington Classic Trout (now called the Redington Tempt) in 3wt 7'6" 4pc. I normally run it with a 2/3 Greys Streamlite reel with DT3F and it is a pleasure to cast. Quite possibly my favorite setup I own. Priced under $200 dollars it is well within your budget.

caseywise 09-24-2012 08:46 AM

wow! for 5 bills you pretty much can have your pick. my brothers 7' 10" TXL is a sweet stick as is the SLT. winston BIIX is a fine rod as well:)

casey

cowpokey 09-24-2012 06:15 PM

Are you planning on an entire outfit for $500; rod, reel, and line? Or are you reserving $500 for just the rod?

44runner 09-26-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 44runner (Post 485817)
One of my favorite rods is my Redington Classic Trout (now called the Redington Tempt) in 3wt 7'6" 4pc. I normally run it with a 2/3 Greys Streamlite reel with DT3F and it is a pleasure to cast. Quite possibly my favorite setup I own. Priced under $200 dollars it is well within your budget.

I broke this rod out today for a bit of practice for an up coming trip. Verdict: Still an awesome setup. The Classic Trout with a Streamlite hanging off of it is stunning. Something about this setup makes me fall in love everytime I pick it up. I love a 3wt weight and I love a shorter rod and this one is beautiful. I always question how you can get a rod this good for such a low price. The action is perfection. Not so slow as to be annoying and but not too fast to suck the fun out of your task. Its like the perfect speed to let you enjoy the moment that line turns over and you load the rod back up. Don't get me wrong, I love some fast actions too but not all the time, they are like the quickies of the fly world, they get the job done and everyone loves them but when I want to make love, I reach for my Redington CT...

utah daveii 09-27-2012 12:53 AM

you could pick up a 386 zxl for that price right now. You could also pick up a 380 right now as well. The zxl repladed the SLT. I have a 383 SLT and it is my favorite rod.

gatortransplant 09-27-2012 01:27 PM

Check out the Orvis Superfine too, its a great small stream rod on the higher end. Currently I'm rocking an Allen ATS 3wt, and while it fits into a sliiiiiightly lower price point, it carries its weight for sure with everything from little small stream fish to cruising carp.