The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chi flyfisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 06:14 PM

slduck is on a distinguished road
Default Driftless Area favored fly rod

I am in NE Iowa what is everyones favored rod? I have a Powell 4 weight 8 ft 3 inch LTT with a pre 98 Ross Gunnison. Thinking going 3 weight. Looking at Diamondglass
Old 09-13-2012, 06:30 PM

taylor16 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Driftless Area favored fly rod

Winston 4wt, 7.5' BiiT and Steve Pennington 4wt, 7' bamboo for me.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:34 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

8' 4" 3wt Orvis Helios and 8'4" 3wt Orvis Hydros...... I know, both basically the same rod. They were both really good deals though!

My NE Iowa trips are going to be starting again in about 2 1/2 more weeks. As soon as Minnesota's season closes, you'll see me cruising around your territory. Thank goodness you have a year round season down there. It's what keeps me sane during November.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

The Driftless can get very windy. I think a 3 wt would get frustrating with the wind. I have a 5/6 wt 7'3" old fiberglass Phillipson (that's older than I am) that's perfect for the Driftless region.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I had a fine time with my older 7'6" 4wt Redington CPS. Fast enough to handle the wind, small enough for the streams. Good with both dries and small streamers.

Sep
Old 09-17-2012, 11:44 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

My favorite rod for the Driftless is a 8'9" 3 wt. I have a Loop Opti Creek and a Sage XP. I've leaned more to the Sage because I like a quick rod.

My most versitle rod for the Driftless is a 8'6" 4 wt. My Sage ZXL fits that bill perfectly. It's got enough to handle some of the big fish that are in there, can throw a streamer as well as a dry, and is not too long for some of the tighter waters.

Fishing the larger open streams where you can really fly cast quite a bit, I chose a 490-4 - Sage Z-Axis or if I'm fishing exclusively dry flies I really enjoy my SLT.

When the wind kicks up - and it kicks strong - I reach for a 590-4 Z-Axis.

But a true favorite, probably the 486-4 to handle the occassional pig. Fishing the 386 XP is a blast, but I've had some big trout on that stick.

Cheers,
Mike.
jaybo41 likes this.