The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Long time coming - Driftless Trip

I have been planning this trip for a while. I meant to go earlier this year but work and family commitments postponed it. Finally, the time has come and I am leaving on the 21st for 5 days of solo fly fishing.
I am planning to spend a day and half in NE Iowa and then the rest of the time around Viroqua. I am super excited & have already tied up some of the more popular flies. I have booked a guide for 1 day in WI (in case I am completely skunked when I fish by myself)
I am taking my Sage ZXl 486-4, Scott G2 844-4 and Orvis superfine 476-4. Spent this past week-end getting everything ready (lines cleaned and treated, leaders tied and labeled, fly boxes organized...) My wife thinks I am crazy
I look forward to posting some pictures and the trip report once I get back.

Question for any Driftless Area experts: Is it worth spending the day and half in NE Iowa OR should I just spend all the days in WI?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Long time coming - Driftless Trip

Sounds like an awesome trip. I would just spend the entire time fishing the Driftless Area. Have fun!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:03 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

That's on my trip list too! you will have to report back to everyone on how it went. I think a gentleman on this forum by the name of Len Harris live near/in the Driftless area.

Also, if you get a chance, watch the movie "Heart of the Driftless".
Old 09-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
That's on my trip list too! you will have to report back to everyone on how it went. I think a gentleman on this forum by the name of Len Harris live near/in the Driftless area.

Also, if you get a chance, watch the movie "Heart of the Driftless".
Yes, send a PM to LenHarris, he is an expert on the Driftless area and can give you some advice.

Larry

Old 09-17-2012, 01:22 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Earlier this year, Len was kind enough to PM me some map coordinates for a couple of streams in WI. In fact his posts on the region really convinced me to take this trip.

I need to get that movie to make my wife jealous
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Earlier this year, Len was kind enough to PM me some map coordinates for a couple of streams in WI. In fact his posts on the region really convinced me to take this trip.

I need to get that movie to make my wife jealous
OK, sounds good, armed with that info I'm sure you are in for a great trip, be safe and have a great time!

Larry

Old 09-17-2012, 05:24 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

You're going to enjoy possibly the best week of fishing the Driftless Area will have offered since April. We're enjoying a serious cool-down right now with a bit of rain in the forecast.

Sounds like you've got the right rods for the job to me. You don't need any fancy flies, although the area favorite "Pink Squirrel" is always encouraged Are you going to just hit one area, or are you planning on driving quite a bit to see different streams?

As for NE Iowa... YES. I love fishing Iowa during MN and WI closed seasons. There are some quality fisheries over there. If you decide you want to make your way over there, let me know and I'll PM you a little info on it.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:17 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

NE IA has got to be worth the price of a one day license, I would go for it! milt.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 PM

Hi Ted, Yes I was planning to drive to several streams around the Dubuque - Decorah area. I just sent you a PM...Thanks for sharing some local knowledge with me.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:31 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

I'm looking forward to hearing how your time in my neck of woods was. Hopefully the trip was as good, or better than you expected!