The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By tennessee dave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 08:38 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default Gray Reef, North Platte!!

Just got a call from my big bro that they had a spot open up on a 3 day guided float trip on the N. Platte at Gray Reef out of Casper.

We will be at the only lodge on that section of river with private boat ramp and absolute first class accommodations.

I am so stoked. I took a trip up to the N. Platte last October on my way back from Montana and the fishing, like always, was epic. And I did not have a boat or a guide.

This is an all expense paid trip...I am still in shock.

Click the image to open in full size.

An epic fall spawn for browns and you can bet I will have all my cameras rolling!!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 AM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Gray Reef, North Platte!!

I've been several times and believe it is one of the most underrated fisheries in the country for the number of trophy size fish I seem to catch each trip. Scenery leaves a lot to be desired but the fishing is incredible.

Biggest advantage to the lodge, IMO, is being able to wade as well as float. There is little public water available and drift boats aren't even allowed to anchor or beach their boats on the private sections. I was told they were very aggressive in enforcing it.

I usually take one day on my trips there to fish the Bighorn starting at the wedding of the waters. Great fishing there too.

Enjoy your trip and it should be a perfect time for some big browns.

Last edited by golfnfish; 09-19-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, sounds like a great adventure! That river is indeed a great fishery, but like golfnfish said, the scenary sucks, it reminds me of fishing in an irrigation ditch and you can count on the afternoon winds blowing like crazy, definitely makes for some difficult rowing if you ever do your own floats.
fishngolf16 likes this.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:45 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

I expect to have wind and colder and even wet weather. I never hire a guide and always row myself and so I am doubly looking forward to this trip.

Lack of scenery is great with me, as my eyes will be on my Woolly Bugger and fish the whole time.

I am just a popper headed to the kings den. I can't wait.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:50 AM

phiten is on a distinguished road

nice fish, super scenery!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 AM

Doing my final packing, I am headed for Casper in a couple of hours. It was hard to sleep last night, yes I am an addict.

The river is down to just over 500 cfs, this supposedly concentrates food and fish. I have my wooly bugger dries, woolly bugger nymphs and my woolly bugger streamers all ready to go.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
Doing my final packing, I am headed for Casper in a couple of hours. It was hard to sleep last night, yes I am an addict.

The river is down to just over 500 cfs, this supposedly concentrates food and fish. I have my wooly bugger dries, woolly bugger nymphs and my woolly bugger streamers all ready to go.
Should be ideal conditions, good luck and have a great time!

Larry

Old 09-22-2012, 01:27 PM

zeolite will become famous soon enough

Not long in from quick morning's fishing outside my front door in Casper. River is weedy but clear and the fish are busy.
The North Platte is a fantastic river by anyone's standards and actually there is a lot of fishing available over the Grey Reef to Casper section.

However can anyone tell me how to catch the browns?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:03 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Strip those streamers!
mcnerney likes this.