The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 07:15 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default icy day of fishing in ohio

ok today I went fishing today we seen 2 guys that didn't catch a thing.. it was mighty cold I guess? I was warm as pie with my underarmour and neoprene waders . our only problem was we got this stanlys ice off stuff or **** as I should call it. didn't work even with the line treated the night before and then right before we started fishing. 3 casts and I had so much ice on my guides I couldn't reel in my line. how do you guys keep your lines from freezing like a popscicle? also I turned into a popscicle myself after wading into the water. couldn't even bend my knees or get my boots off hardly. lmao. funny thing is we were both so warm and it just kinda ruined our day only cause the ice on our fly lines and guides. even the fly I used was frozen.
help me out if ya can.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 PM
ROVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: icy day of fishing in ohio

vassaline on the rod eyes.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

thanks I will give it a try! can that mess up fly line?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I would do that, petrolium base will probably not be too good on the fly line, kinda like sunblock being harmful to fly line.

If it's that cold, go home and have a cup of coffee.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-04-2008, 05:35 AM
ROVER is on a distinguished road

I wasn't aware it could harm the fly line. I use it when i spincast so i didn't really think of the fly line.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 AM

i have heard pam and chapstick also. but maybe not good for fly lines either.
kinda sucks because the steelhead are out and about now and everyone is fishing um. but its cold!. guess its warming up a lil now this week. too bad it will melt the snow and make it harder to fish for um.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:32 PM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road

Try this Loon Outdoors Stanley's Ice Off Paste
Ice Off keeps your line and guides from freezing.
Cabellas carry it and has good reveiws
Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

George,

Stop being such an elietist and get out the spinning rod.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-04-2008, 05:50 PM

well I really don't wanna...haha don't get me wrong I do use spin cast on lake erie on my boat but on the river its not as much fun compared to fly fishing. I kinda hate casting and just sitting and waiting. idk. maybe one day...
we did use the ice off but now that I read it it says good until 20 degrees. maybe it was just to dang cold. I think the temps were like 10 or so degrees out haha. couldn't even get my gravels guards off my boots! plus my sucker spawn was frozen solid along with the guides, leader and fly line. maybe it was just a over all bad day to be out there.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Why do you have to cast and wait?

Throw some steel at em.