The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wind River Range Trip 2012

Wow! Gorgeous photography, thanks for sharing!

Larry
Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 AM

skansasc will become famous soon enough

As I keep going through pictures, I find more that I like.
Here I am dropping back down the other side of the divide.

Click the image to open in full size.

One of the highest lakes we passed.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM

I think these lakes have high self sustaining abilities!

If anyone can tell me how many fish are in this video, Ill give you a 100 bucks! This is the kind of thing you do for "fun" after 15 miles in one day.

" title="Fish.mp4 video by salinakansascooner4 - Photobucket" target="_blank">Fish.mp4 video by salinakansascooner4 - Photobucket
Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 PM

wtl is on a distinguished road

Fantastic pictures!

I was wondering, I made a trip to the bighorns 2 months ago, and I was intrigued by the possibility of catching a lake trout. How do fly fishermen in alpine lakes target these, cause I thought they normally were a very deep water species?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 PM

The ones we caught last year were definitely not deep. I think we caught all of them on big buggers, and we were catching lakers and cutts using the exact same presentation. None of them were big by Laker standards, but they fight like heck! I did try a sink tip and letting it get deeper, but didnt catch any, although I should have tried a little harder with that.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:34 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Skansasc, that video contains EXACTLY 241 different fish, some of which appear twice. Now where is my $100?

mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 PM

Ill tell a funny story that went along with that biggest Golden.

When we first got to the lake with goldens, my friend and I fished together for a little bit and neither of us caught anything for about 20 minutes. Then he decided to head up shore a ways, out of sight, and I stayed put. About this time, the sun was going down, the lake turned to glass, and fish started surfacing fairly frequently. About 10 minutes after he left, I was half heartedly casting and retrieving, while whole heartedly looking around in amazement, when I felt a thump, and pulled in a small fish. When I saw the fish, and saw for certain that it was my first golden, I quickly got a picture and released it. I sat down on a rock and tried to let it all sink in! Here I was 18 miles from the truck, in the middle of nowhere in a bear troubled region, now smelling like fish, and I was as happy as could be. Then it was on! I had broken the ice, now I wanted something a little bigger!

Truth be told, up to this point my friend was kicking the **** out of me in the fishing department! From size to numbers, I was severely lacking! If I could pull off a decent golden, I was fairly sure I could even things out again! Not 10 casts after my first golden, I felt another thump, but this time I knew it was bigger! It really didn't fight very hard until it saw me, then it was off! I played it extra careful, and eventually got it in the net, and saw that it was significantly larger than the first, and definitely larger than I expected to catch out of this lake! I got some pictures, released it, and realized that it was getting dark. In a complete state of disbelief, I headed back toward camp.

About 10 minutes later my friend returned, and we each asked each other how it went. We were both hesitant to tell, afraid that the other might have done better (me almost certain I did better). So i told him that I had a few really good bites, but never got one to shore, and he told me , while grinning like a child, that he caught three goldens. I let him feel special for about 20 minutes, until our nightly camera swap, where I look at all the pictures he took that day, and he looks at mine. I didn't even look at his pictures, but instead, watched him as he looked at mine. I made sure he would see the biggest golden first, and when he did, his jaw dropped, and he looked up at me and said, you son of a b#*ch. Now, I have only heard him cuss on a handful of situations, but this was the funniest! I laughed for a good 5 minutes, but he went straight to his tent, but before getting in he looked back and told me, theres always tomorrow!

We each ended up catching a few more small ones the next day, but nothing close to the biggest one!
mcnerney and countr21 like this.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Skansasc: Your Wind River Range photos are awesome! Thanks for sharing, makes me feel like I'm somehow there experiencing the whole trip with you. Great story about the first Goldens!

Larry

Larry
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

That all looks outstanding to me! What an awesome trip.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM

prospector18 is on a distinguished road

Great trip

Last edited by prospector18; 11-29-2012 at 08:02 PM.