The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:45 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guest Speaker Joe Humphrys on Night Fishing

George's book is excellent. One of the best fly fishing books I have purchased and read. Must read for anyone into nymphing IMHO.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

He really has everything down to a science its amazing
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM

jborn is on a distinguished road

Mr. Humphrys gave a talk in Albuquerque a couple of years ago at a New Mexico Trout event. His talks were awful. One of his talks involved a video of his grandson reenacting an event in Mr. Humphrys life, no useful information in that talk or in the next talk where he could not get his AV system to work. He ended up demonstrating how to do a bow cast on a dark stage where no one could see what was going on. He may be a legendary fly fisherman but from my limited experience his talks are not of similar quality as his legend.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

someone sounds bitter but Joe really is a very good fisherman. when he came to talk to us it was only in a small group so we got to talk him. I bet you could learn alot from a person who has been fishing as long as him
Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to a few lectures by famous fishermen. My favorite was not because the guy was good, but because he was so dang bad. He talked in a quiet monotone, mostly about stupid family stuff, friends and other stuff nobody gave a rat's butt about. It was my favorite because the two people I was there with and I started taking bets on who the next person to nod off was going to be. There were people who's heads would start drooping and then get that sudden wake up snap. People who had lost the battle and were drooling down their chin. It was a train wreck. If I had not been there with wise cracking jokers like myself it would have been the worst waste of an hour in possibly my whole life. I watched the guy put more people to sleep than a case of Sominex.

Just because a guy is famous means pretty much nothing to me. There is a famous guide and tackle rep I was on a TV show with. I agreed not to disclose who and what show, so all I can say is that it ruined me on almost all shows. All of the fish were caught at least twice. One was caught after it had joined the choir invisible. In fact the 'Ex' fish made it into two episodes.

There was a guy who wrote an article for a big time fly magazine on Smallmouth. He quoted his own book numerous times. I had never up to this point felt compelled to call BS on an article, and have not since, but I did on that one. In the conversations I had with the editor and the author following my extensive "you are full of BS" letter, it became really clear that the author was a good writter, bad fisherman with a propensity towards google and belief in anything he saw on the web.

There is a guy who shows up here on this site once in a while, spams the heck out of us, puts out a pile of bad info and then has his posts removed for major spamming. His book, if anything, like the bad info he has tried to infest people with here, is best used for fixing a short leg on a table. He is a guy who can write OK and went with a guide one or two times a year, (he spammed us for the guide/lodge to) and then thinks that means he can write a book.

So before we go jumping on a guy as 'bitter' I'd need to see what the guy actually did. Maybe his talk did stink on ice. Having worked for fisheries for more than a dozen years on one of the best fisheries in North America, I have meet more than my fair share of 'Famous' fishermen. Very few of them really impress me. Many of them say or have said things I know are flat out wrong. There are guys right here on this forum that know more than most of these famous guys ever will.
theboz likes this.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

Yep Joe is a living legend. One of the best in the world of trout fishing.