The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 06:07 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Does anyone have a steelhead hammer recipe?

Looked around and searched on the forum but can't find one....
Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Does anyone have a steelhead hammer recipe?

I believe it's just a stone fly with lace body and estaz thorax, with flash wing case if you like.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:32 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I've tied it a number of ways, but the style I tied today used a woven wire body of chartreuse and dark blue/black wire. Weaving the body can be made easier with Uni-stretch thread rather than wire, or simply using a black wire or heavier thread body with an estaz abdomen. I've been tying the tail with pheasant tail fibers and using the same for the wing case, as well as tying back what is left of the fibers to create legs. However, most importantly, they do NOT need to be tied well to catch fish. I hooked a number of steelhead the other day on quite possibly the ugliest steelhead hammer ever tied, one of my earliest forays into tying a half dozen of which were still hanging out in my fly box.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Gator ill tie some up before I head to Erie this weekend
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I need to pick up some uni-stretch and I'll do a step-by-step of this pattern, as you are right regarding the lack of them on the interwebs. Now I just have to decide whether to use pheasant tail fibers vs. biots vs. hare guard furs, whether to add hackle, etc....

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I wonder if one really needs to weave the body on this fly...seems like it would work pretty well with just a simple wrap for the body.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 AM

Certainly you could wrap the body a single color or even just wrap the body with alternating wire of two different colors. However, I think you're then angling toward a different fly pattern, as the Steelhead Hammer, at least to me, has a woven abdomen. I would assume that the pattern would still work since it integrates what is essentially an egg pattern. Maybe I'll run some tests on the matter! Weaving the body does give practice for those woven czech nymph patterns however

Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I kind of have a vision in my head that I am hoping to put tot he test tonight on the new vise.

basically it's a black vinyl rib twisted with a peacock herl and wrapped forward. Then, for the wing section, I am thinking a wrap or two of the estaz and then covered with another piece of herl - almost like you would do with the wing case on a prince nymph
Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I did a quick google search and found this:

Steelhead Hammer – Darren MacEachern | The Daily Fly Paper Blog

I personally haven't tied these but have seen them tied both the way referenced in the blog and the way gator mentions. I have attempted to do woven flies and gave up out of frustration. LOL Kudos for those that can and do.

For steelhead flies in the Erie tribs, I try and do as many simple ties as possible with eggs and nymphs because you can easily rip through a dozen in two days or less. Those shale bottom streams have a tendency to keep flies. Not to mention I sometimes end up handing off a few flies to people I meet on the water. There are certainly patterns that require more time, like streamers or traditional salmon/steelhead patterns to name a few.

I mentioned this in the the other thread about steelie flies for GL tribs, subtle changes to a fly pattern can sometimes make all the difference in the world. Those fish see so many flies, sometimes its that difference that stands out. Other days, not so much.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:16 PM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough

I think I would bake/stuff (sage stuffing) it with a little spritz of lemon.

Sorry, I didn't see the hammer part.