The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: bluegill culling on trout streams opinion

Eat the trout and a few bluegills releasing those bigger gills for another day of fun. By the way folks, research has shown that larger bluegills can be fished out quite easily in many areas. C&R for the big gills!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 10-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I got my information on bluegill from the "Ridge Lake Study, 1941-1963" by Dr George Bennett as reported in the book "Practical Black Bass Fishing" (1974) by Mark Sosin & Bill Dance, w/ Dave Whitlock (great book by the way)

From a Sports Illustrated article

Quote:
The study began by Dr. Bennett stocking 435 largemouth bass which 335 of these were yearling bass.Three years later 129 bluegills were stocked. Fishing was permitted at no charge but anglers had to keep everything they caught and were checked and controlled by biologist. between 1941 and 1963 they completely drained the lake nine different times and all the fish were captured by specially constructed weirs. They held all the fish in pens until the lake would refill and all were counted. And they never
added anymore bass into the lake. During the twenty third year of the study,Dr. Benenett calculated that more than 30,000 bass had been taken since the inception of the study.He also added that the draining census confirmed that there were always between 1,500 and 6,000 largemouths in the lake. all from the original stocking. The 129 bluegill did even better for the same time period that 400,000 bluegills were removed. He had also tried to poison all of the remaining ones but some survived and quikly repopulated the lake. And this makes the bluegill in Dr.Bennett opinion one of the number one nemesis to largemouth.It was once thought that bass could controll bluegills populations.But the bluegill destroy the Bass population by feeding heavily on eggs and their fry.So when your fishing your favorite pond or lake it would be good to remove them as you catch them. Another thing they discovered is that if they waited four years before a drawdown, the population of bluegill was larger than the largemouths. By depleting some of the bluegills the bass would bounce back with increased spawning and had a better survival rate. Dr. Bennett was the first to advocate the killing of bluegills so as not to harm the bass populations. Dr. Bennett also determined that most bass disappeared between the seven and ten years of age and the oldest were thirteen years of age. He also concluded that the natural mortality rate which were done on a two year periods.Discovered that 33 percent of bass weighing between 1/8 of a pound to 3/4 of a pound disappeared and only fourteen percent from 3/4 of a pound to 4 pounds disappeared, but 39 percent of bass from 4 to 5 pounds died of natural causes.Bass that were 5 pounds up suffered at 73 percent.Keep in mind that this is a northern body of water and the bass in the south would be over five pounds when they enter the highest mortality period. Dr.Bennett stated long time ago that it would be impossible to "fish out a lake". and felt that bag limits and seasons were not valid for either species. I collect books on freshwater fishing and ran across this in a book I was reading titled Pratical Black Bass Fishing by none other than Bill Dance and Mark Sosin Printed in 1974.And I want to know what you all think about this?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I don't know anything about The waters where the two Species live,is it a recognised Trout Stream ?
I'll go along with what's been said & add,what's the use of Stocking Fish which don't either survive or Breed & maintain populations,I know our Fisheries wouldn't.
Brian.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

I think that bluegills are more fun to catch than trout, they fight harder, they will attack a fly with more gusto, they are better looking, and they taste much better than a soft flesh mushy trout?

If you caught 12 on 12 casts, you will never get that type action with trout....... especially stupid pellet fed stockies!

Enjoy, don't kill them!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:40 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't pitch them into the woods. If you aren’t going to eat them throw them back.
Smallies and other large fish feed on those pan fish. If you fish in VA for any amount of time you will eventually get one of those ‘larger fish eat smaller fish catches/early releases’.
I just had one of those a couple of weeks ago. Hooked a sunfish and as I was hauling it in to release it a rather large smallie came up and swallowed it. Of course since it is not the one hooked it just spit out the pan fish when it got close.
My rule if they are 6” or better I keep them and fry them up….UMMM UMM Good!
As for the trout. If the water doesn't stay cold (50degs or less??) the trout will die. You got to wonder why VA continues to dump trout into streams that you know the trout have no chance of surviving the summer heat or winter drought? I suppose those that don't get caught by us, get eaten by the local four-legged creatures.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 PM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough

You all have answered my question and them some but ill give you some more info about the stream in question so that you may continue to debate

It's mostly put and take.
There is a catch and release zone where I was for all but the summer months.
The stream does have holdovers occasionally but most are fried in pans or in hot summer waters.
In a trib there is a wild population of rainbows, what they stock.
There are no bass, only gills, trout, and suckers.

And to answer about shoving trout where they can't spawn, at least we get to fish them at all. Naturally reproducing streams are very rare here in VA

And for axle, I'm talking about passage.

Annnnnnnd go!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerboy2222 View Post
Would I have been right to pitch the fish in the woods to leave more food for the stockers?
No. In fact here in Minnesota it is called Wanton Waste and will get you a dandy ticket. Depending on the extent to which you "chuck them into the woods", you could also get yourself a gross overlimit. Once you harvest a fish it matters not where you put it. That includes the aformentioned "woods". Any Game Warden at this point may decide to see if he can pull a third violation out of it and if he can, you are done fishing for the next three years. That includes any state with a reciprocal agreement with your state. In our state it is most of them. They may decide to fine you for restitution on top of the fine, which would be for the first fish and then a likely reduced fine for each and every fish you "chucked" after that. I would assume that if you had other 'chuckers' and they located their dirty deeds aftermath, you could likely be fined for those as well.

Then let's look at the biology end of this. In a creek where you have a ton of Bluegills, the water is likey to warm for a good Trout habitat. We stock a place like this here every year for people to go have fun and harvest the Trout. I seriously doubt any of the ones avoiding being caught survive the warmer part of Summer. Likely you have the same situation based on the population of Bluegills. Since you clearly have zero background in fisheries I would suggest you hang up your bucket biologist theories and stick to practicing fishing within the regulations.

Wanton Waste Law & Legal Definition
wishiniwerfishin likes this.