The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By mysticm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default GSMP Trip Report - Oct 2012

I just returned from a week-end family camping trip to the Smokies. The mountains are my favorite way to fly fish since I enjoy the fun of combining the two things I really love (hiking to remote streams & experiencing all the solitude nature has to offer). It seems that every-time I do these trips, my senses are fully awake & I notice things that I would readily gloss over back on the heavily pressured waters near home. I would rather catch a 8in wild Rainbow or Brookie than a 16in stocker brown (available on my local tailwater stream), because the technical challenges I have to overcome in casting and presentation on a tight stream make the prize so much more rewarding.

Click the image to open in full size.

The weather was pretty cold and wet, but the leaves were changing color and the fish were agreeable. I saw more anglers during this trip than in all my prior ones so Oct must be a pretty popular month there. Despite this, just a few miles of hiking allows you to be alone on the water.

I mainly hooked all rainbows, with a couple of small browns. I fished a dry-dropper system and had 50% hit the dry and the other go after the beadhead dropper.

I will post a few more pictures when I finish processing the raw images from my SLR.
Hope you enjoyed the short summary
Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Re: GSMP Trip Report - Oct 2012

Such beautiful pictures !! The fisrt one is awesome. It seems you had good trip. Bravo !
Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Great trip report. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to beat the mtns in the fall. Congrats to the great looking trout!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:33 PM

chefdg is on a distinguished road

I am getting ready to take my first fishing trip to the Smokies in just a few weeks. I have camped and hiked all over the park but never fished it. I am very excited and hope to come up with some beautiful pictures like yours. Thanks for the report.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdg View Post
I am getting ready to take my first fishing trip to the Smokies in just a few weeks. I have camped and hiked all over the park but never fished it. I am very excited and hope to come up with some beautiful pictures like yours. Thanks for the report.
I did the same thing back in the 70's I hiked all over the park but at the time wasn't into fly fishing, now I think back to all the great fly fishing I missed out on.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Great report ,I'm currently sitting in my office looking out a blue sky and changing leaves that tell me fish are on the feed.Nice pictures .
Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 AM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

Very nice! I would love to see the Smokies one of these days.