The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By fyshstykr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 PM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough
Default When does adipose form?

I caught a couple of 4 inch rainbows today lacking an adipose fin on a stream that hasn't been stocked with rainbows for 40 years. Does the adipose not form until the fish is a certain age?

Have I stumbled across a new strain of super trout?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: When does adipose form?

They should have it if they are that big. When my aquarium trout where little ( less then 3" ) they still had them. They are really tiny at that size so you may have just not seen it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 PM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

Sometimes fish hatcheries will cut off the adipose fin to mark them as hatchery fish. But you said stream hadn't been stocked in 40 yrs, I dunno.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:02 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarron View Post
Sometimes fish hatcheries will cut off the adipose fin to mark them as hatchery fish. But you said stream hadn't been stocked in 40 yrs, I dunno.
Exactly. That's the 'fin' that now gets clipped. Hell of a conversation going on (biology) as to what that adds to the fish and what happens if you clip it off.

General thought is the fin sends messages to the tail of 'What next.'

In personal simple terms: 'If God put it there, there had to be a darned good reason.' Millions of years of Evolution and they were the top of the heap.

fae

jsquires likes this.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

When does adipose form? At conception.
Oh wait a minute....wrong subject.
imxer likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-12-2012, 05:47 PM

flytyingcompany is on a distinguished road

Anyone ever heard of the Icelandic tradition of when you catch your first Salmon in their waters... the adipose fin becomes an appetizer..

It is quite common though for hatchery fish to have their adipose fin removed.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:25 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Now that was darned interesting; not heard that before. Eat the fin.

PNW Native Americans always celebrated the first of the fall catch; Gift From Their God(s). Personal opin only, but I think they got it right. In the last dozen years I've kept just one for food, the rest have been released.

Fred Evans