The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM

loringj will become famous soon enoughloringj will become famous soon enough
Default Rainbow Flies

Good Day everyone, I am new to the forum and thought I would start my first post by asking a rainbow question.
Later this week I am looking at going down to the North Shore of Superior to fish for some rainbow in one of the rivers, I was there last week on my way through and saw some in the river and I think salmon are coming through. Not sure if they are Rainbow or if I should be calling them Steelhead, I am new to fishing for them, usually a lake guy for Specks. Anyway my question is what flies should I be using from my boxes? I have some eggs and some egg sucking leaches that I thought I would try since Salmon are spawning, but I am not sure. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Justin
Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rainbow Flies

Hello Justin,

Since you are 'going down' to the North Shore I suspect you are in Canada. While many people use the fly patterns you have described you can have good success fishing lake run trout with any feather wing streamer also. I speak of classic patterns like the Gray Ghost and other smelt type patterns when I say feather wings. I live in Alaska and find that all species including steelhead / rainbow trout will grab a streamer or salmon / spey style fly at this time of year. keep an eye at your local shops for any and all Sculpin patterns also because the rivers you are headed to will have a goodly number of sculpin minnows in them.

If you are familiar with the 'wet fly swing' this is a very good method for the trout. If you are not familiar with the technique you should look it up, you'll find it under the name I have used. You may also want to look for a copy of 'Fly Fishing Streamers' by Doug Swisher. This fellow is good and his techniques are time tested. A little study along the lines I am suggesting will pay off in a big way once you're at the rivers edge.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

As Ard said, streamers. My favorite is a Mickey Finn
Kerry Pitt likes this.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 PM

Thanks for the help. Yes, I live in Canada. I am about half an hour from the North Shore. The place Iam looking to go fishing is about 2 hours away.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Is your name Lorin?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM

Its Justin Loring. my user name isnt very original lol
Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Hi Justin,

Have you ever been fishiing at the Nipigon River? I read about this place and the giant brookk trout years ago but never made it there.

Ard

Old 10-16-2012, 03:09 PM

No I've never fished the Nipigon although I am only about 2 hours away and I have driven over it a dozen times. I am looking at going to Old Women river, its right on the highway in Lake Superior Provincial Park at one of the rest stops. Not as nice as the nipigon or as big but not as busy either.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 PM

Well I went out early this morning, left the house around 6:30am and got there shortly after 9.

Fished all morning and didnt even get a bite or see anything. Only person to get something was one of the guys that came with me with their spin rods, caught a Pink.

I think I may have been there too early because there wasnt even any salmon running up the river. It was still a good day, I learned lots though;
1. I enjoy my new two handed Pieroway element rod, 6 weight 11'6"
2. I dont enjoy Rio slick shooter running line.
3. I enjoy swinging wet flies. (never really did that before, mostly dries)
4. My rubber boots leak haha.

Hopefully next time I get out, I will have better luck.

Justin
Old 10-20-2012, 01:40 PM

nockhunter is on a distinguished road

"fishin aint no fun" unless your boots/waders leak.

Mike