The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ghocevar
  • 1 Post By ghocevar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Shenandoah Fishing - Tackle reco

I am headed to Waynesboro, VA for a business meeting and was planning to spend the week-end fishing some of the streams in the park. To the folks who have fished some of the streams / rivers there, should I take my 8'6" or 7'6" 4wt rod?
Are the streams okay (sufficient room) with the longer rod length?

Thanks,
Old 10-18-2012, 02:53 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Either rod will work although if you plan on fishing the Rapidan near Camp Hoover it can be tight in spots. Rose Run is a little bigger than the Rapidan, so if you plan on fishing that and the Lower Rapidan as it exits the park, then longer rod would be better. I might even consider a 3wt rod or lighter if you are going to be fishing in the park.
Check with Murray's fly shop as they can direct you to other water inside the park as well.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shenandoah Fishing - Tackle reco

Thanks for the input, I will call Murrays tomorrow. I was planning to fish the North River and the North Fork of the Moormans. I know that the park is full of streams, but are there any specific ones you would consider in the 'must fish' category?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

The upper section of Rapidan below Hoover camp was my favorite. I prefer the more technical streams that are full of little brookies willing to eat anything. The Rapidan hits the mark on that and if you are into it too, it's a must.
il_wi_fishing likes this.