The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 AM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I Can't catch a stocked trout

Friend's don't let friends catch stocked trout. Wild fish forever!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 AM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

Creeker, It's kinda of hard to catch wild trout near me. Nearest places are 2-3hrs away.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:51 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Tie a pellet fly. It's tied with deer hair and trimmed to look like a pellet the trout eat.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:47 PM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

If they're chasing minnows, then try something like a minnow muddler.

For the size you say they are, a #6 is good.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
Friend's don't let friends catch stocked trout. Wild fish forever!
Creeker, I'm not sure what part of the country you live in, but for many folks their only opportunity to catch trout is to catch stockers. I prefer wild fish and fortunately have many opportunities to fish for them, but if I lived somewhere with only stockers or even with a put and take fishery, you better believe I'd be there. When I lived in Michigan, I had to drive at least two hours for non-put and take trout. Fished a lot for bass and panfish, but did sneak in some local trout fishing, even if it wasn't as good as wild fish.

Regarding flies, at that put and take fishery (it was stocked in the spring and the fish wouldn't survive the summer) they'd stock it and there'd be no fishing for a bit while the fish settled in, then a month of catch and release, following which you could keep the fish. For some reason, the trout went nuts for white wooly buggers. I'd fish size 4-8. It was a river and I'd cast to the bank and strip it back. Might try those just in case they'd work.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:36 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

I tied a few Pellet flies in brown, Ranging from #10-#16 wire and with no wire and of course no luck with them. Like I said I only have one chase my Black wolley bugger with some flash but he only followed it to the bank and was gone. A local fly fisherman that only fishes for trout he has been doing it for 30yrs now and he always uses a gold bead black wolley bugger with no tail it's weird but he usually nails those stocked trout. He eventually gave up after 3-days having trying his whole arsenal. I think I might just wait til Nov 23rd for the winter stocking. My Cousin went out there today and he caught one using power bait but he was out there for 6hrs.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:51 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Angelo, I'm going to blame the fish. They're probably dazed and confused and don't know a great fisherman when they see one.
I used to play a lot of fast-pitch softball. The best hitters on our team did well against the best pitchers but not so well against the poor pitchers. Conversly, the weak hitters on our team never did well against the best pitchers but had their best games against the poor pitchers.
So here is my suggestion: Bring a bad fisherman with you to meet the planted fish. I predict the bad fisherman will have no difficulty catching fish after fish. But you can take comfort in the knowledge that you match up best with native fish (the best pitchers).
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Sounds like it's time for some dynamite.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 AM

morayflyfisher is a jewel in the roughmorayflyfisher is a jewel in the roughmorayflyfisher is a jewel in the rough

Found the comments here interesting and simaler to fishing attitudes here in uk for some.

Stocked fish are not fed before delivery as it doesnt help them when travelling.So if they have been fed, they will not be in the fittest state they should be and may take some time to adjust to their new enviroment.Really though bad husbandery to feed before delivery.

Interesting to hear that fish are stocked also in wild rivers as they are here,the days of truly wild wild fish seems to be disappearing,many anglers dont really care they are only interested in catching at all costs which is very sad indeed.Who needs to catch 50 in a day to enjoy it.

I did notice the wild v stocked debate isnt restricted to just the UK.But are we not all anglers in the end and the element of choice remains for us all,the pleasure is the fishing and the enviroment which surrounds it.
mcnerney and williamhj like this.

www.morayflyfishing.co.uk
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

We are very lucky to have some of the best native sea run brook trout populations in Canada. Wild Atlantic Salmon on the other hand is in great danger and decline.

I fear though that our agriculture and general land use and muscle farming practices rarely take local ecology into account, unless targeted by a community based watershed restoration project, but Prime minister Stephen Harper doesn't make it easy, with all his cutbacks and corporateering. There is an expression here, "we're so far behind we're ahead."

Plus every year we seem to take a beating with fish kills. This makes my blood boil.