The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about
Default bright skies and salmon eyes

Its been a dry spring summer and fall for many places across the midwest. This year has been all about adapting to the conditions and has certainly taken its toll on our normal fishing routines.

Click the image to open in full size.
"the milwaukee river under low flow conditions"

The last few weeks has produced some serious precipitation and rivers are just starting to fill back up to what I would consider "the norm". This surge in water means only good things to come across south east Wisconsin for fall run salmon and steelhead.

"first of many to come"

While some of the timing of our runs are off fish now have plenty of water to make their way upriver. On the big rivers, many of the kings and coho's spent too long in the harbors before we got rain and came up all ready zombiefied. Browns and steelhead though are showing up in good numbers.

The smaller rivers took the freshest run of kings but they will need another dose of rain for more trout to show in better numbers.

"salmon eye"

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 10-25-2012, 09:37 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: bright skies and salmon eyes

Hmmm...you got me thinking now.

Indy creeks or WI creeks this Sunday....
Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The salmon eye photo is quite cool, is the reflection of the salmon a result of blending multiple photos?
mcnerney and il_wi_fishing like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
The salmon eye photo is quite cool, is the reflection of the salmon a result of blending multiple photos?
yes, that is actually a photo of the salmon blended into its own eye

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Hmmm...you got me thinking now.

Indy creeks or WI creeks this Sunday....
With all the rain, i bet both will be fishing quite well
mcnerney likes this.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 PM

trout bumm is on a distinguished road

Hey there! I live in Milwaukee and do a lot of Salmon/Steelheading on the menominee. Ever fished there? It's a riot!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:58 AM

Are you on lake link as well Trout Bum?

Yeah buddy I love fishing the the tribs for lake run fish in the fall and spring. I tend to enjoy the salmon less then the brown and steelhead fishing later into the winter. Less people "sort of" and better biters. Flossing zombies has no real appeal and watching how some of these people act is embarrassing to be grouped together with them as fisherman. The salmon run brings out some real animals.

I fish most of the rivers in the area but the milwaukee in my opinion reigns supreme. We are lucky to have it!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Nope, I am Miltown Steelhead on lakelink. I live only two minutes away from one of the best steelhead streams in the United states, so we sure do have it good! I have yet to fish the Milwaukee for steelie's. I only fished Grant park and Menominee river by Miller. Being 17 and just getting my license has opened up plenty of opportunities for me to hit different streams. I love to steelhead and brown fish, but salmon just holds me over to the winter.

I found instead of flossing the zombie fish that if you hit em in the face with a clouser minnow (Bright colors) **** em off and they attack but they have no fight left. So I am just waiting for redington to replace my rod (Tip broke on a damn zombie) and then I'll get back to steelies! and hopefully fish some of the north fork of the kickapoo when I go up there for hunting in november.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

You don't have to floss or fish for Salmon on gravel (raking gravel, is what I call it). Salmon that are not actively working gravel or spawning can be caught in deeper runs or in pools below actively spawning fish. I nymph quite a bit for Salmon and they will routinely eat a nymph or egg drifted through a pool or run. I caught a half dozen just upstream from the first picture in this thread on Sunday. Didn't see any of them before catching them, but based on the river knew they would be holding there. I love watching people look at me when I'm landing and catching Kings in this water while they're raking gravel trying to floss or induce a strike to a spawning fish.

I don't want to turn this into a "salmon don't eat" thread. The fishing in SW Wisconsin is finally starting to get decent. It's been deplorable from the start and the fish are coming up from the lake and harbors darker than normal. But there are still some fish not yet spawning that are aggressively hammering flies. It will not be long until the Steelhead start showing up in decent numbers, I just hope the rivers don't freeze early to add insult to injury of a lousy fall run of fishing.

Cheers,
Mike.
il_wi_fishing likes this.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Salmon that are not actively working gravel or spawning can be caught in deeper runs or in pools below actively spawning fish.
Couldn't agree more, the major turn off for me is not the tight lips on gravel but more so the individuals that fish for em there. In my mind the best of the trib fishing is still ahead of us! Last years mid temps made for the best late fall fishing I've ever had on the tribs.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout bumm View Post
and hopefully fish some of the north fork of the kickapoo when I go up there for hunting in november.
trout season is closed in wisconsin in november

Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 AM

I don't fish for trout up there. I fish the west fork for trout in spring, but the north fork has creek chub and small bass every now and then. Just as fun to catch!

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

And also, I can't wait for the steelhead to come up. Finally get to try some trout beads!