The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Fall Browns destroying flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/301136-fall-browns-destroying-flies.html)

nickj 11-01-2012 07:08 PM

Fall Browns destroying flies

Fall Browns are destroying my flies ... It seems that they grind them between their teeth and just shred them. After a dozen or two they're toast, dries or nymphs. Today I caught one nice one- zoom, to the top of the pool, a couple nice aerials, back to the middle under a log, got him out, more aerials, down to the next pool... finally netted him..he opened his mouth and the nymph fell out. It appeared that he just had it clenched between his teeth, he was not hooked.. and of course it was coming apart. It's pretty entertaining..:)

mcnerney 11-01-2012 08:11 PM

Re: Fall Browns destroying flies

We should all have that problem, I can only dream! :D:D

williamhj 11-01-2012 09:39 PM

I'm having trouble feeling sorry for you :) All my flies are sitting safely in boxes in my garage...

Hardyreels 11-01-2012 11:07 PM

Larry took the words outta my key board already, it did sound like an exciting fish though. I have memories like that of brown trout. It's good you were able to land it Nick,

Ard

nickj 11-02-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamhj (Post 495442)
I'm having trouble feeling sorry for you :) All my flies are sitting safely in boxes in my garage...

Put them in the car with the rest of your gear and drive west a few miles past the Red Rocks entrance.

williamhj 11-02-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickj (Post 495486)
Put them in the car with the rest of your gear and drive west a few miles past the Red Rocks entrance.

Hopefully soon :)

noreaster 11-02-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickj (Post 495420)
Fall Browns are destroying my flies ... they grind them between their teeth and just shred them.. .. they're toast, dries or nymphs. ....I caught one nice one- zoom, to the top of the pool, a couple nice aerials, back to the middle under a log, got him out, more aerials, down to the next pool... finally netted him..he opened his mouth and the nymph fell out. ... he just had it clenched between his teeth, .....it was coming apart. It's pretty entertaining..:)

Wish I was having this kind of destruction.:D:thumbsup::fishing::)

....But my season is closed. Have to wait till mid April next year. :(

stimulator2 11-02-2012 12:10 PM

I'm with Larry and Ard i have a hard time feeling sorry for you ,sounds like a great problem to have.

fly_guy12955 11-02-2012 03:12 PM

If you can get me out there, Ill fight the browns for you, and risk my OWN gear and flies...to help you.

No need to thank me, I'm just that kind'a guy.........:)

loringj 11-02-2012 04:19 PM

Wish I could say I had this problem. Never fished for Browns before but on tuesday I am moving from Northern Ontario back south and there are some rivers a few hours away with Browns so maybe I can get into them.