The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Fall Browns destroying flies

Fall Browns are destroying my flies ... It seems that they grind them between their teeth and just shred them. After a dozen or two they're toast, dries or nymphs. Today I caught one nice one- zoom, to the top of the pool, a couple nice aerials, back to the middle under a log, got him out, more aerials, down to the next pool... finally netted him..he opened his mouth and the nymph fell out. It appeared that he just had it clenched between his teeth, he was not hooked.. and of course it was coming apart. It's pretty entertaining..
Hardyreels, madjoni and noreaster like this.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fall Browns destroying flies

We should all have that problem, I can only dream!
stl_geoff likes this.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having trouble feeling sorry for you All my flies are sitting safely in boxes in my garage...
Hardyreels and thewalker1013 like this.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Larry took the words outta my key board already, it did sound like an exciting fish though. I have memories like that of brown trout. It's good you were able to land it Nick,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-02-2012, 06:42 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I'm having trouble feeling sorry for you All my flies are sitting safely in boxes in my garage...
Put them in the car with the rest of your gear and drive west a few miles past the Red Rocks entrance.
mcnerney and madjoni like this.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Put them in the car with the rest of your gear and drive west a few miles past the Red Rocks entrance.
Hopefully soon
Old 11-02-2012, 10:10 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Fall Browns are destroying my flies ... they grind them between their teeth and just shred them.. .. they're toast, dries or nymphs. ....I caught one nice one- zoom, to the top of the pool, a couple nice aerials, back to the middle under a log, got him out, more aerials, down to the next pool... finally netted him..he opened his mouth and the nymph fell out. ... he just had it clenched between his teeth, .....it was coming apart. It's pretty entertaining..
Wish I was having this kind of destruction.

....But my season is closed. Have to wait till mid April next year.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:10 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I'm with Larry and Ard i have a hard time feeling sorry for you ,sounds like a great problem to have.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:12 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

If you can get me out there, Ill fight the browns for you, and risk my OWN gear and flies...to help you.

No need to thank me, I'm just that kind'a guy.........
mcnerney and horseman_37601 like this.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:19 PM

loringj will become famous soon enoughloringj will become famous soon enough

Wish I could say I had this problem. Never fished for Browns before but on tuesday I am moving from Northern Ontario back south and there are some rivers a few hours away with Browns so maybe I can get into them.