The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 10:11 PM

left field is on a distinguished road
Default Asheville NC guide recc

I will find myself in Asheville tomorrow night for two days and can go fishing all day Monday. Hoping a 1/2 day with a guide can get me pointed in the right direction.

Any recommendations? There seem to be a hell of a lot of guides in the area.

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:33 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Not sure which way you are going to be wanting to travel from Asheville, but check out R&R Fly Fishing. they are just over 100 West of Asheville.
I haven't used them myself but have spoken with them and listened to their podcasts.

http://www.randrflyfishing.com/
Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Asheville NC guide recc

Thanks. I think I'm looking in Asheville proper as I will be staying in the town.

The two big shops/guides seem to be Hunter Banks and Curtis Wright. Any have thoughts on those guys?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:23 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Don't know about either of them, but Hunter Banks sounds fishier than Curtis Wright.
Give 'em both a call and feel them out and decide who you like after the conversation.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 PM

Talked to the hotel bartender who fishes and he hooked me up.

All is good. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Sorry i didn't see this just got back into work this morning but Hunter Banks is good in the Asheville area so is Waynesville Fly Shop.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:23 PM

Thanks. I ended up with with a guy who also guides out of there. Great morning - many fish - beautiful river. Will return.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Where did you wind up fishing? I'm in the Asheville area but haven't used any guides around here yet.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:21 PM

Not sure I can recall the river. East or West fork of the something. About 40 minutes outside town. Above a small private lake that is owned by a church or religious organization. Some plants; some wild.

I really enjoyed this guide if you want a recc. Nice chat on the way there, then nothing but fish talk on the water. He corrected a few of my faults and taught me a new thing or two. Would use him again in a minute.

PM me if you'd like his info.