The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 11:12 AM

inusuit will become famous soon enough
Default Things I learn...

As a person recently returned to serious fly fishing, I try to learn something every time I'm on the water.

Last Sunday I learned that before I step on what appears be a layer of leaves in two inches of water, I should poke it with my wading staff because it might be three feet deep.

I didn't, and it was.

Nasty fall, but didn't break the rod or ship water into my waders.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things I learn...

Was walking through an eddy I'd muddied a bit and hit a rock. Took a nice stumble. Didn't break my rod or rip my waders, but have some sore shins. Dumb since I knew the rock was there. Was focused on a rising trout though.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

That is what I like about fly fishing (besides enjoying outdoors), there is always something new to learn. The other day I was fishing a riffle with a dry/dropper setup and as the hits slowed I was letting the rig drift past my location and letting it swing across the current. I missed a couple of strikes just as I was picking up the rig (actually broke off my bottom fly), so I decide that on the next drift through at the end of the swing I would let the fish set the hook and it worked. Seems like they were hitting that bottom fly so hard that if I set the hook it would break the rig off. I don't usually do much swinging so it was all new to me.

The other day I took the pontoon boat up to Lewis Lake in Yellowstone NP, I put in at the campground on the south end and used a 4 hp outboard to motor up to the north end of the lake to fish the inlet. The wind came up as I was putting in, but it was a tailwind so it helped push me across the lake which took 45 minutes. Around 2 pm I decided I had better try crossing the lake as the wind had really started to blow and it was white capping the lake, so I decided to skirt around the right side of the lake to avoid the nasty waves in the middle. That worked but the waves were still washing over the top of the pontoon boat, I had on my neoprene waders and wading jacket so it wasn't cold, just a little nerve racking. It took a good 2 hours to get back to the boat ramp. Next year I will take the high sided drift boat up there and leave the pontoon at home.

Larry
williamhj likes this.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

We've gotten out of the habit, but instead of B.S.ing about the number of fish we caught, my fishing partner and I used to share what we had learned that day on the ride home.
It really reinforced what would normally just be random thoughts and turned them into lessons
Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

I try to focus of learning something every time. I did not test my next step while wading in water with a lot of leafs in it and I found it dropped from 2ft to 4.5ft. I got dunked. Lately I try to concentrate on my drifts, watching the water more before I put a fly on the water. I also need to work on being more stealthy on thin water. I had trouts hiding when I was 2 pools behind the fish. Sometimes being stealthy is hard when you are slipping and sliding. I also try to document what flies work and where I caught the fish within a stream or creek.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

For me the biggest thing I have to do is force myself to slow down and really relax. The frequencies of city life are different than those of wild forested areas. In order to blend and flow the angler must slow himself down and be in sync with his surroundings. That quote from that English Lord who wrote Complete Angler. "To study is to quiet." Love that.
Job can be stressful at times so I need fly fishing as a relief and therapy. Can't bring "the day" to the water. Must let it go.!!

Now I will usually approach the spot slowly, setting back for a while and watch and listen. Like someone with time to kill. I listen for clicks of reels above or below me, wild life, hikers, etc. Have a belt of scotch, colt, if flies are bad.

Then assemble rod and tie on fly etc. Then I'll stalk up on the spot. Maybe sit again. Observe the in stream, water levels, insects on surface or in air, wind, fish raising, etc. Then when ready, stalk into stream really slowly. Like 10 seconds between each step stalk. and crouch, no big body or arm movements. Try not to stir up the bottom.

I used to use my Teva sandals, with heavy hiking sock, and wade in with nylon quick dry pants. Now I use a pair of water activity sneakers by Salamon on bare feet. They are great. Don't make a big disturbance and are very nimble and light. Have never minded the cold water so don't see the need for waders. Will need a set for spring of season though, still snow on ground then.

Slow down, relax and quiet the mind, is what I have learned. What is lacked in skill and experience can be made up with patience, discipline and awareness.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Man I remember as a kid/teen when I would try to act cool the stream usually put me in my place hahaha, mother nature is always on tops of its game whether you are or not. Now that I am an older child I have learned slowly to enjoy my time out there and take everything I do as slowly as it will allow.

I also have learned growing up sucks when you are working, but it is amazing when you have learned to appreciate things around you for what it is. Nothing beats getting lost in the middle of nowhere with a fly rod in my opinion.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:19 AM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

Things that I learn while fishing could fill a phone book!

Big ones for me are, when hooking a large fish, calm the F down and take her easy! There have been too many times where I've been fumbling out a camera, jumping around and doing god knows what. When all I have to do is move to a good vantage point, maintain pressure at all times, let the fish take line, don't horse them in, but don't play them to death.

I have also found that going slow means a lot more than going fast in most occasions, I've seen many people tromping through water, just going to a hole and casting. All when quietly getting there, and letting the pool rest for a few minutes, the fish will often times get used to your presence if you give them the chance!

Also, make sure your camera bag is not upside down upon opening it while standing on a bridge.
osok likes this.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by latshki View Post
Also, make sure your camera bag is not upside down upon opening it while standing on a bridge.
Like that! Good advice.lol
Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 AM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

going for a swim in the middle of october, in the highlands of cape breton, with a rain/snow mix coming down is not pleasant