The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 04:56 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does blue excite the trout?

Dear God, please don't let anyone ask if the color red, yellow, green or other colors of your rainbow excite trout.

Your's truly,
Alan
Jackster, dean_mt, wt bash and 2 others like this.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

Silver,

You asked:
Quote:
Why does not the conclusion that the fish perceive blue as the main color of UV stimulus follow from "MAIN SENSORS OF THE UV LIGHT WILL NOW BE THE BLUE CONES"?
Because of "wavelength discrimination.
The image below might help:
Click the image to open in full size.

In the image in the top left, when a photon of 500nm is absorbed, it can be absorbed and expressed by many different cone opsins. Draw a line from the 500 straight to the top. Every opsin it passes through will be triggered to a greater or lesser degree. However, because 500nm is visible green, the intensity of each opsin should still register on the visual centers as green, with different intensities.

As well, note the peaks of each cone opsin type. While each cone opsin type has a unique peak, they all have a secondary, lower peak in the UV. So, when any of the cones receives a UV photon of 350nm (the left axis), the visual center should register it as UV. This is wavelength discrimination, the essential element of color vision. And Flamarique's statement holds true. If you look at the graph, the opsin expressed by the SWS2B (blue cone) reaches 37.5% at 350nm; much greater than all the other cones but SWS1 (UV specific).

Does the previous make any sense? A good paper on color vision is
Is colourcognitive?
PeterSkorupski,LarsChittka
Optics &LaserTechnology

I won't try to tackle the difference between sight and perception; however, there is a chapter on the subject in a certain book which shall remain unnamed.

Flamarique and Cheng stand pretty much alone in thinking that the UV-specific cones in the dorsal-temporal region revert to blue-specific. They have both made many valid contributions to trout vision science, but they have been unable to prove their conclusion and the other camp provides better, IMO, arguments.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Dear God, please don't let anyone ask if the color red, yellow, green or other colors of your rainbow excite trout.

Your's truly,
Alan
ThankYou! Feel like I'm back in HS failing chemistry again!!
mojo and mcnerney like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

it's like reading a textbook....now onto yellow

casey

ARFE
Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

We'll leave the heavy detail to those who like it. My little tale of blue flies was one fall while fishing the Smokies. I always ask for the local ties when in a fly shop to see what the locals conjure up to trick the trout. This has saved more than one fishing trip, especially where winter gives the locals a few months to dream up a new pattern for certain stretches, hatches or runs.
The small shop I was in in the Smokies had a whole section devoted to blue flies tied by several local tyers. I popped for some and caught fish with them when nothing else seemed to work.
Not too scientific I know but enough to make me a believer in blue!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Back in the 1950's John Atherton published a book called "The Fly and the Fish" that was influential at the time. He argued for impressionistic rather than precise imitation, and he designed several nymphs with blue kingfisher wing cases rather than the usual drab feathers. He felt that the spot of blue caught the trout's attention and provoked more strikes than more imitative coloring. I think the Atherton nymphs were a precursor of the recent popularity of "hot spot" nymphs, at least in their similar theory of attraction. Atherton was only arguing from his own subjective experience, though, not from any scientific studies of trout vision. If nothing else, it shows that the idea of using blue as an attractor color has been around for a while.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quite an informative and entertaining string. I love it!

(And I am going to buy some blue wire soon)
Old 11-26-2012, 03:56 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

There seems to be enough testimonial evidence to support a case for blue bugs!! When all else fails
Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Reed for your thoughts and knowledge. I appreciate your posts.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-26-2012, 03:59 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

Silver,

and I thank you for your interest and insightful points.

http://overmywaders.com