The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does blue excite the trout?

Blue work. I sometime tie roe with blue scarf
Old 12-17-2012, 08:26 PM

trial153 is on a distinguished road

Blue is a killer steelheaad color on lake O tribs.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

We tie blue egg patterns, for example Beadhead Estaz tied sparse is very effective on the SR dec- feb. Pinners also use small blue beads as well.
piscatorial_phd likes this.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Killer pattern on the E Tribs too. Blue is the first and last color egg I'll tie on when I am fishing sun up to sun down. Then I'll switch to whatever the water clarity/flow warrants.

One of my more memorable days in Erie...

Mid January, snow on the ground and certainly below freezing. Fished all day long without a single tug on my line, nobody around us was catching fish. I was working over a pod of fish that wouldn't take anything. Low and behold, the last hour or so of daylight, I was fishing a tandem egg combo of chartreuse and blue. Every other cast produced a strike. That day, I landed one of the largest steelies I've ever caught.
rubberguy and nrp5087 like this.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 AM

trial153 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Killer pattern on the E Tribs too. Blue is the first and last color egg I'll tie on when I am fishing sun up to sun down. Then I'll switch to whatever the water clarity/flow warrants.

One of my more memorable days in Erie...

Mid January, snow on the ground and certainly below freezing. Fished all day long without a single tug on my line, nobody around us was catching fish. I was working over a pod of fish that wouldn't take anything. Low and behold, the last hour or so of daylight, I was fishing a tandem egg combo of chartreuse and blue. Every other cast produced a strike. That day, I landed one of the largest steelies I've ever caught.

I had good luck on a couple Erib Trib trips with a size 10 - 12 light blue and char scrambled egg pattern....
Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM

piscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura aboutpiscatorial_phd has a spectacular aura about

I found an Elk Hair Caddis tied with a shiny bright blue body, maybe mylar, hanging in a tree. I tied it on the tippet and was shocked at how the small trout attacked it. I clipped it off and put it in my box to tie a few more when I go home. I don't always use it, because it is not as productive as the more natural looking flies, but if I am not catching anything I can usually pick up a fish or two with it. Very strange things going on under the riffles.