The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 03:27 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Does blue excite the trout?

On Thursday evening at my flyfishing club my professor told me that the color blue has been proven to excite the rainbow trout and other species. This was determined from placing a sensor into the optical lobe of the trout and presenting the color blue to the fish. I decided to test it out and tied a blue wolly bugger with red hackle and this is what i caught out of spring creek PA

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
mcnerney, baseman1 and thorsten like this.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:46 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does blue excite the trout?

Can't speak for trout, save for their Big Brothers Fall run Summer runs. Blue is one of my go to colours. No idea why its as effective as it is, but Puppy Hunts.

fae
Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM

horseman_37601 will become famous soon enough

i buy all my flys from rogercaylor.com, who is in fl. he used to live in nc, really good selection, and a good guy. he ties a blue fly, calls it blue assasin
it works great--

"the ox is slow, but the earth is patience"
Old 11-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Please remember that I am only answering a question and will do so honestly. I do rather well with blue when fishing for trout here, however at this time of year on Spring Creek PA. the Brown trout are congregated around spawning hens and are very aggressive, meaning that they will take anything that comes near. With that knowledge in hand I wouldn't think that this particular trout made any decisions based on color. I fished Spring for 25 years very often and found the fish to be as stated, 'aggressive' during October - late December. I would hold more stock in the results if the catch were between 3 to 6 fish like this during the period of a days fishing during February - June than right now.

Still it is a nice trout and I hope you handled it carefully,

Ard
jaybo41 and mikel like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-10-2012, 07:13 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I do know it is for some fish to see the Colorado blue. I read somewhere once that walleye can only see the outline of a blue jig. So they are more likely to strike it. Its evidence is a 12 pound walleye my dad caught.

But trout and walleye have very different optical lobes I would guess.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 11-10-2012, 10:35 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Diver Dan is always touting blue and white Clousers for walleye! I swear by blue egg patterns for steelhead! Let's face it some colors have the edge with fish in general and others are are hit or miss. So many factors come into play when using colors such as water clarity , prey color , temperature , time of day and so on.
One of the finest trout men I have ever fished with went by the philosophy of size and shade. If the insect was dark you went dark(color didn't matter) if it was light you went light as long as the size was consistent with the insect you would catch fish. And this guy caught trout consistently when others were fumbling with hatch charts.
imxer and mcnerney like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Like Theboz said, blue eggs patterns like Glo bug, Sucker spawn and estaz seems working great on Lake trbutaries.

I wonder why blue color work so well, because it's not a natural color....
Old 11-11-2012, 07:18 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I used blue chirono's the year before last and they were very effective. Same waters this year, and it was just another color. I had better luck with Zebras, red & white, and greens. I have no reason why either.
When fishing streamers or bugger style flies I wonder if blue, when wet is more like black. It's the last color to disappear in the water column and maybe blue is as close to black when wet that it is effective. There, black and browns with a spot of red on the fly are very effective in Utah, Idaho and Montana. Especially on bright days or nightime fishing.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I always have some blue in my steelie box. Never leave home without some blue.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:36 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

Still it is a nice trout and I hope you handled it carefully,

Ard
Dont worry i did handle it carefully. Removed the fly as quickly as possible got a picture and placed it back into the water and monitored it for several min (10 or so) to make sure all was well he swam off on his own