The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 02:09 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about
Default winter trout fishing

Getting excited for my upcoming trip the Smoky Mountains next week. Brings back some good memories from last winter when I visited Iowa's driftless for some trout fishing. Thought I would share a couple photos from last winter.

Click the image to open in full size.

We will be spending a week in the GSMNP and am looking forward to sneeking out in the mornings before everyone else is up. After all, it is a family vacation but there is always a little time for some fishing...

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 11-11-2012, 04:44 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: winter trout fishing

i'm planning a early spring trip to the iowa driftless area. looks like some nice water
i'm thinking about mid march-early april would be good.
got any tips for gear/flies for that time of year?
i have a shiny new 7' 4 weight glass rod that needs to see some action

and hope you have a good trip to the smokys.

casey

ARFE
Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

thanks, im looking very forward to the trip to the smokey mountains!

i would fish nymphs in the deeper pools, i had best success with the simple patterns. brassies and hares ears and pink squirrels are basically what i threw. while i only fished a few streams they were both great and made every bit of the trip worth it. i think water temps will play the most important factor.

i stayed in the decorah area

Old 11-11-2012, 06:01 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

vey good info!
thanks!

casey

ARFE
Old 11-11-2012, 07:10 PM

chefdg is on a distinguished road

I just got back yesterday from my trip to the smokies. I am new to trout fishing on the fly rod but I had an awesome time. I had the best luck up by Tremont. The local guys were saying that the Oconuluftee is hitting really well right now and there are some big browns in there. I didn't have any luck on it, but again I am learning and was by myself.

My first fish was a big rainbow that was close to 12". That was bigger than anything I expected. I didn't catch a lot but loved the trip. And I love the Smokies.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Where in Iowa is this driftless area? My parents moved to Des Moines and if that is close it could make trips out there even more appealing.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Chefdg - The driftless area is in the far NE corner of Iowa. My best guess is that you're 3 1/2 to 4 hours away from it. Decorah, IA would be one of the bigger cities that falls into the "Driftless" section of the state.

Casey - Send me a pm with any specific questions you might have about the area or tactics. I'll offer up what I know.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the info chefdg, much appreciated. I've never been out there and the rest of my family has never seen the mountains. Can't wait...

Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 AM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck! It's one the the places I'd love to see one day.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
Good luck! It's one the the places I'd love to see one day.
I'd assume your talking about the smokys rather then iowa... Thanks I'll be sure to report back!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Chefdg - The driftless area is in the far NE corner of Iowa. My best guess is that you're 3 1/2 to 4 hours away from it. Decorah, IA would be one of the bigger cities that falls into the "Driftless" section of the state.

Casey - Send me a pm with any specific questions you might have about the area or tactics. I'll offer up what I know.
The "Driftless Area is NE Iowa, SE MN, and some in Wis. I believe. I live 20 minutes from Decorah, Ia although I have never fished around there, too cheap to buy the non resident fishing license i guess.