The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default NY Buster Browns!

This past weekend I made my annual pilgrimage to New York, and the Lake Ontario Tributaries for the lake-run Brown Trout.

First, a quick appology to A.J., I am sorry I never called. My cell phone took a dunking and I didn't have your number saved anywhere else. Its a lousy excuse but there it is. If you tried to call me, that's why I never answered. I'll be making a few trips to Erie, and maybe we can meet there to wet a line.

As far as the trip to NY, it was EPIC! There were six of us: Me, my Dad, my brother, a good friend, and two of my high school fly fishing club members. Matt is the son of my friend, and Braden is Matt's buddy. Neither of them had any experience with fly fishing on this level. I had to supply both with ALL the gear, but of course, I was glad to do it. To say they had a blast would be a serious understatement. We left home Saturday morning at 5AM. The boys were not in the best mood as they had just played in the first round of the District football playoffs the preceding night, and didn't get home until well after midnight. They basically slept through the 6 hour trip north.

We arrived just after 11Am, and after checking-in to our lodging, we hit the streams. I was immediately apprehensive as the Browns were sparse, and what was there were very skittish. Sunday morning saw a beautiful sunrise, and over 50 degree temps., but the fish were still tough, and the run thin. We spent the day creek hopping looking for more fish. By about 4PM that night we tried a place that I had never been on, only about 400 yrads off the mouth of the creek, and Viola!, there they were. Still skittish, but good numbers. We caught a few, but darkness fell quickly. Monday morning saw us at that stretch of creek at dawn. The fish were still skittish, and had lock-jaw. I had watched the weather report the evening before, and told the boys not to get down, and that the on coming storm front would probably light them up.

Sure enough at about 930AM the wind picked up a bit, and the storm got close. Just like that the switch was flipped, and they began to bite voraciously. We all hooked up so many times we lost count....a truely wonderful day. Both boys couldn't believe that fighting fish could make your arms "burn". The pics say it all......

Click the image to open in full size.

Oh yeah I caught a few too!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: NY Buster Browns!

Those are some nice browns!!! I'd freak out catching one that big.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 AM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough

awesome! thanks for sharing!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Just awesome! It's the type of trip I look forward to having with my now 15 month old son
Old 11-14-2012, 09:52 AM

jmac321 will become famous soon enough

Great Pic's, some real hogs right there.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Awesome Homer! Those fish are brutes ! Funny how those trib fish turn on all of a sudden like that! Seen that to many times.
Oh and glad to see a fellow PA guy wearing his license the same place as I wear mine and not on his hat !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Homer

Wow, I guess that was an EPIC trip! Thanks for sharing and congrats on the awesome fish!

A.J. probably couldn't have handled all that fun anyway!

Larry

Larry
Old 11-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

wowwww some turkeys there Homer....AJ will never forgive you
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 AM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

Holy C R A P.... Nearly any one of those would be a record in my area. Stunning.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
wowwww some turkeys there Homer....AJ will never forgive you
I sure hope he does! My buddy the Chem teacher in the room next to me says my life is a "comedy of errors". Too true. The phone was supposed to be one of those armoured-waterproof models.....its not. Thank god for the "cloud" back-ups and the optional phone warranty!

By the way, the rod in my mouth is an Orvis T3 7wt mid-flex that I picked-up as "new old stock" for a song. I think its my new favorite. The reel is a TFO BVK III loaded with Rio Outbound Short coldwater. Casting was effortless. You may also notice all the hardware hanging on the fleece patch on my vest....went through a bunch of different flies. #12, Copper color, BH Copper Johns were the magic ticket.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
Holy C R A P.... Nearly any one of those would be a record in my area. Stunning.
I think the NY state record is 30-ish pounds! The biggest I ever landed and weighed was 1/2 ounce shy of 15 pounds. The big fish of the trip this time was the one I am holding sans rod, it was 11.5 pounds.....according to my hand-held scale....28" long with a 19.25" girth.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.