The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bleeders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
It's all about the severity
I think alot has to do with water quality too. I read once that 1 in 10 fish caught and released will die so it is an inevitable part of this. Kind of a weird irony, I feel bad about killing a fish but yet I didn't feel too bad about sticking a piece of steel into its jaw.
Hardyreels and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:55 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
Man, that's a darn shame, that's a beautiful fish... And you know what? We've all been in your shoes at one point in our lives, so don't feel bad. I remember almost every fish I've accidentally killed, and the Fishing Gods know that I pay their memories respect, so maybe that's why they haven't punished me... Bad things happen to good people, it's just life
I don't feel bad at all. The fish was fine. I caught him and he was a bleeder, I put him back and caught him a year later (and an inch or two longer). So clearly he was no worse for the wear.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke em View Post
I don't feel bad at all. The fish was fine. I caught him and he was a bleeder, I put him back and caught him a year later (and an inch or two longer). So clearly he was no worse for the wear.
I'm just curious, how are you sure it was the same fish?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I release the fish anyway. If it dies, it provides food for the other fish, eagles/osprey, as well as the aquatic insects.

Circle of life.
jaybo41 likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
This fish was a bleeder when I caught him in July 2010.

Click the image to open in full size.

He was not a bleeder when I caught him in September 2011.

That's really cool that you have proof a bleeder trout does not necessarily end up dead. There was a kid doing a school paper on catch and release that should be shown these photos. I'll find the post and move a copy of them there.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Bill,

I thought I posted here yesterday but it looks as if that one got lost in space. That was way early in the discussion and I see that what I said has been covered now at great length. I'm pretty sure you'll agree with me that whether or not a fish is bleeding at the time of release there is another very important factor when considering post catch mortality. To encapsulate the thought I'll simply say this, use a heavy enough leader so that fish can be brought to net - hand - shore, whatever quickly. I have been practicing what I preach for many years, from the lower 48 to here. I've seen people fishing for huge steelhead with a 4 pound leader and nymphing trout in swift waters with 6 & 7 X tippets. I have reached the point where I feel that If I need to go to some extreme in light leaders or fly sizes just to catch a fish, then that fish was not meant to be caught and released.

Some may scoff at what I put forth but I can assure you that once you get past the 'I have to catch that fish no matter what' point, you may see the sense in what I suggest. While it is true that some fish may shy away from an 8 pound strand of fluorocarbon, when you do hook up you just reel the fish in. Of course the hook may pull out if you rush too much but what you don't worry over is the leader breaking because it's a 3 pound test or less, with a 5 pound fish attached. Some fish that are hooked badly will need to be killed or if released they may die due to the injury or an infection due to same. What I don't struggle with is the thought that I am somehow torturing the fish because of some long protracted 'fight' that we were raised to believe is the coolest part of catching fish. To me the cool part is catching them and being able to do so with very little in the way of theatrics.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-16-2012, 02:33 PM

lazaruslong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
yep, i'll agree.....turn em back. if they survive, awesome!
if they don't.....food chain.
just don't break the law...$$$$$$

casey
Yep.

Don't know why people get bent out of shape about it, if the fish dies it becomes food for the crawfish, smaller fish, etc which then in turn nourish the larger fish and so on. It all works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtone1411 View Post
Well, I hear that it's sorta uncommon for two fish that typically have lots of spots, in the same stream, to have identical numbers and locations of spots....
Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

I'm always impressed by how hardy fish can be. I hooked into a nice little 14"er a couple of months ago in a C&R area. Landed it quickly, but it took me a little while to figure out what was going on with that fish.

There was an extra fly attached to it that wasn't mine. The extra fly was attached to a line which was dangling from its poop shoot. When I pulled on the line that the fly was attached to, it pulled on its intestine. So, it seemed as though the fish ate a double fly rig and passed one of the flies and had another lodged in its belly or something.

I don't know, I trimmed the line off an let it go. It was healthy enough to be feeding, so not quite sure what the deal was. I'm just surprised how hardy they can really be.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtone1411 View Post
I looked close at the markings on the fish. It was definately the same fish. Spots are like fingerprints. No two are alike.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I looked close at the markings on the fish. It was definately the same fish. Spots are like fingerprints. No two are alike.
Exactly. The second time I caught him, he was about 25 yards downstream of the first place I caught him.
Guest1 likes this.