The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 PM

trial153 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bleeders...

Unfortunate but it happens...I have see bleeders (in this case steelhead) get put back in after short revivals and get hooked again later in the day in the same run. Thing is from the looks of them you would not have thought they would have even lived that long.. I also think water temp plays a big part in it, colder water= less stress and a better chance of surviving the bleed.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

To stir the pot a little more.

I was reading an article on gink and gasoline about fixing bleeding fish by pouring a coke in there mouth. I did some further reading and some of the bass guys say it works as well. Seems crazy but fly fisherman do some crazy things.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd need to see some study to back that up before I bought into it. What is it supposed to do for them? How does coke act as an coagulant? I find nothing in a google search on it.

OK, I kept putting different words in the search till I found this;
still sounds fishy
Old 12-18-2012, 12:06 AM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I dunno Dan. I read about a doctor who said that if it was true than they should be using it on people. It would be cool if it could save fish though.

Here is the article Chug a Coke, Save a Bleeding Fish. | Fly Fishing | Gink and Gasoline | How to Fly Fish | Trout Fishing | Fly Tying | Fly Fishing Blog

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 12-18-2012, 12:50 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If I had a bleeder and a coke, not likely, I guess trying it wouldn't hurt. Do they say anything anywhere else about other brands or is this a one brand trick?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

It's got to be Coke! It's "The Real Thing"!
Oh boy! I don't believe it nor will I ever poor Coke on a bleeder! Besides I'm a Pepsi guy!
Up to us as good stewards of the sport to decide whether or not the fish is healthy enough for release or should be kept and utilized. We may not always make the right decision but Coke is definitely not going to clear my conscience!
mcnerney, Guest1 and mrfzx like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-18-2012, 05:47 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
Exactly. The second time I caught him, he was about 25 yards downstream of the first place I caught him.
You know what he was thinking after the second was "Man this neighborhood is going down hill, a man cant even eat something without these large weird looking creatures putting their hands all over me" haha

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
I dunno Dan. I read about a doctor who said that if it was true than they should be using it on people. It would be cool if it could save fish though.

Here is the article Chug a Coke, Save a Bleeding Fish. | Fly Fishing | Gink and Gasoline | How to Fly Fish | Trout Fishing | Fly Tying | Fly Fishing Blog
I doubt that is true. There is nothing in a coke that will cause the bleeding to stop, it may not hurt them, though it may make them fat and start eating more fast food, but nothing chemically that I can see would cause the fish to stop bleeding. Though I am no scientist of course.

For me I hate when I gill a fish, especially because I am 100% C&R and I only fish for the pleasure of being away from other humans haha, so I hate hurting the fish to that extreme.
If they are bleeding out fast I typically try to keep them in the water, thinking that may help them a bit, but of course there is no way to be sure. In the end I think it just depends on the fish and the injury.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM

trial153 is on a distinguished road

I can see where carbonation in soda can be used to flush a wound, having an effect similar to say peroxide moving out dead cells and other materials ....that said I can see how it would have any effect on bleeding gills. I think most importantly you need to bring oxygen to the injured area as quickly as possible....so the soda I idea could be in fact be detrimental if it delays the revival process.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
Man, that's a darn shame, that's a beautiful fish... And you know what? We've all been in your shoes at one point in our lives, so don't feel bad. I remember almost every fish I've accidentally killed, and the Fishing Gods know that I pay their memories respect, so maybe that's why they haven't punished me... Bad things happen to good people, it's just life
I think the point is it was a bleeder and it survived. Based on the eyes in the picture from 2011 I assume it survived that time too.

Edit* Sorry, I am exhausted and didn't realize there was more than one page and this was already replied to by the person that posted the picture.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
This fish was a bleeder when I caught him in July 2010.

Click the image to open in full size.

He was not a bleeder when I caught him in September 2011.

Obviously the new Allen reel must have made the difference.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.