The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Bleeders...

I'm sure its been discussed before but I was just thinking about this. You're on C&R water you tongue hook a fish and its a bleeder. What chances do you think that fish has at survival? I hate it when it happens but it is part of fishing.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bleeders...

Yep, that's a tough ethical question. It has always been my experience that a bleeding fish is a dead fish. Lets face it, a few drops of blood from a smallish fish may represent 10% of its total supply....shock is a real possibility. So what do we do? Keep the fish, not waste it, and hope if you get checked the patrolman is understanding (yeah, right). Or do we put it back, hope for the best, and call it the circle of life? Personally, keeping my experience with waterways patrolmen in mind, I put it back and hope for the best. It doesn't make me happy, but I am not going to pay a hefty fine (in some states the fine is quite hefty) for something that is out of my control.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I think that a fish with a serious gill injury is a goner, but you see other fish almost daily with traumas from both man and beast that have survived. It's all about the severity.
I try not to stress about it when it happens to me. Racoons need to eat too.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:37 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

I also hate it, when the caught fish is bleeding and I feel soory for the creature and also a little bit angry with me. But I always release them and I have seen a pike, which was bleeding pretty much and I could observe that he recovered completely after while. This observation has given some hope to me for further, similar situations.

THORSTEN
Old 11-15-2012, 07:18 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I faced the exact scenario described in the opening post last week-end. I was on a delayed harvest river and hooked a beautiful rainbow (~15in). I could not see the fly until it opened it's mouth since it was hooked quite deep. I tried to remove the fly but could not reach it w/o inflicting further damage. I tie my flies with barbless hooks so not sure why the hook was so deeply engorged. All the while the poor trout was bleeding..
Made me sick to my stomach but there was nothing I could do except revive it the best I could and watch it slowly swim off.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on where and how bad. On Trout it is not a good thing. They are not as tough as some other fish. They did a radio tag study on Musky and hooked one really badly. They had to cut a part of the gill plate, cut hooks and it was a serious bleeder. They tagged it anyway and decided they could just use it to see how long it took to croak from an injury that bad. It didn't croak. It was recaptured two years later and was bigger. The gill plate was healed but scarred. If it has a chance of making it I let them go. Once you kill them they are a goner. If it's a big fish I give them the chance to make it. If it's not a big one I keep bad bleeders. I made it to the top of the food chain and I can eat a fish once in a while.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

This fish was a bleeder when I caught him in July 2010.

Click the image to open in full size.

He was not a bleeder when I caught him in September 2011.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yep, i'll agree.....turn em back. if they survive, awesome!
if they don't.....food chain.
just don't break the law...$$$$$$

casey

ARFE
Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: Bleeders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
This fish was a bleeder when I caught him in July 2010.

He was not a bleeder when I caught him in September 2011.

Man, that's a darn shame, that's a beautiful fish... And you know what? We've all been in your shoes at one point in our lives, so don't feel bad. I remember almost every fish I've accidentally killed, and the Fishing Gods know that I pay their memories respect, so maybe that's why they haven't punished me... Bad things happen to good people, it's just life
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Field and Stream recently had an article published about bleeding fish and releasing them. I forget the exact percentages off hand but the basic idea was if the hook cant be removed easily, cut the line and release the fish. most of the time the hook would be pushed out of the mouth and discarded within 6 days and the fish survived. Playing doctor on the fish and getting the hook out that resulted in more/severe bleeding the fish almost all ended up dying. So basically if they bleed alittle but the hook came out cleanly, let em go, it will heal up and they will be fine.
Hardyreels and thorsten like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher