The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough
Default Parasol Emerger

Have any of you fished types of Parasol Emergers? I just discovered them and look like fun to fish. Quite unique to say the least. From what I understand the 'parachute' acts as indicator for the nymph. Do you fish a double dropper system behind the emerger or fish the emerger behind another fly?

Also does the distance between your fly and the 'parachute' make a difference or do they all fish the same? Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting back on out the river and seeing what they can do!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parasol Emerger

I was introduced to the parasol emerger pattern by Kelly (kglissmeyer) who uses them while fishing on his No Tellum Spring Creek where the fish are super selective. The water is super clear with very little current so the fish have a good look at your presentation. His method is to use the parasol emerger as an indicator in a dry/dropper setup with some sort of nymph pattern trailing. I'm not sure if he uses two droppers or not, I'm thinking he only uses one but could be wrong. If he doesn't see your post, send him a PM as he fishes this setup way more than I have.
Here is the link to how he ties the parasol emerger: Tying Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger

Larry

Larry
Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

How do they cast? It seems they would foul alot to me but I've never tried one.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
How do they cast? It seems they would foul alot to me but I've never tried one.
WT: I've never had an issue with casting them, they are pretty small and light, (they aren't like tcasting with a thingamabobber or similiar indicator) but then the only time I use them is on Kelly's Spring Creek. The parasol emerger with a dropper casts more like a dry/dropper rig. That Spring Creek has weeds on the edges which requires some fairly long casts.

Larry

Larry
Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I've never used these patterns but I think they would be ideal for head and shoulder risers that are taking nymphs UNDER the film rather than in the film.

I do have an issue with naming them "emergers" which means to me that the actual process of the breaking through the nymphal shell has begun. These flies are usually fished during emergence, but they seem to me to be "suspender" nymphal patterns using the parasol to suspend the flies rather than the classic greased leader method that is used.

The greased leader is a better option in most instances rather than the parasol, and I think that is why the parasol has remained a "niche" pattern where a more visible leader is detrimental.

The greased leader was written about by Gary Borger in his classic book Nymphing, and is explained by Jason Borger in the link below. The advantage over the parasol is that you can vary the depth of the fly without changing the fly, and the fly lands more gently.

"A greased leader certainly does allow you to suspend flies at pre-determined depths"

http://fishfliesandwater.com/gear-ri...leader-tactic/

The disadvantage of the greased leader is that the leader itself is more visible. So if I were to use the parasol "emerger", I would use the sunken leader technique to remove the impression of the leader on the meniscus. Rub some Snake River Mud on the leader to "degrease" it.

I wrote about the need for degreasing leaders with picky trout earlier. Go down to the middle of the page below.

Light tippet or not...

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-28-2012, 11:43 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all! Although the Parasol Emerger is not my own pattern, it is one I use more often than not in a variety of situations. Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer developed this version of the pattern know as the "Parasol Emerger", but there have been other similar flies developed by other fly tiers. I use the Parasol Emerger as an indicator fly and not specifically for enticing fish, although I often catch fish on the PE.

I started using the PE as an indicator fly when fishing to picky brown trout on the Green River in Utah, then tested the method on the Provo and finally was able to perfect the method on my favorite spring creek here in southeast Idaho.

For the spring creek setting (see my article in Flyfishing & Tying Journal, Winter 2011 issue on "Spring Creek Strategies", where I describe the method and highlight some of the flies I use) I typically use the PE as a dry indicator trailed by a bead-head nymph of whatever mayfly species is available in the water, and then I trail off of that another favorite food source for the fish, usually a scud.

As far as casting and/or fouling on the cast - no problems. Once you get used to fishing this setup it casts like a dry fly rig. The parasol, when doused with some sort of floatant will usually float for hours and suspend a two-nymph rig without problem.

For fishing nymph rigs I will usually start with a parasol fly in a pattern of what may be hatching that day on the water I'm fishing (my favorite though is just a generic Pheasant-tail nymph pattern tied with a parasol). Next, I drop a piece of tippet to my bead-head fly - the length of this piece of tippet is determined by the depth of the water from the surface to where the fish are holding. The bead-head nymph is always used as the first fly under the parasol fly in order to provide a small amount of weight to get the two nymphs down to the fishes holding level in the water column. Last, I drop a 12 to 18-inch dropper off of the bend of the bead-head nymph to my final fly which is usually a scud or something that is a popular food item in the water I am fishing.

Also, during active emergences I like to trail one or two dry emerger patterns behind the PE. Most emerger patterns are quite diminutive and very difficult to see in the film, but trailed behind a PE you can usually track where they are and see rises to them as the trout sip them from the surface.

Here is the link to my tutorial on tying the Parasol Emerger: Tying Schollmeyer's Parasol Emerger

And here are some pics of some of the parasol flies I use and what flies I trail behind them:

Pheasant-tail:
Click the image to open in full size.

PMD:

Generic Midge:

One of my favorite bead-head dropper flies - Improved Shop Vac:

My first choice in any water containing mayflies - Bead-head, flashback Pheasant-tail, size 14:

And here is my favorite second dropper pattern I like to use in the spring creek - KG's Spring Creek Scud, amber (I also use an olive version) Both of these are tied in sizes 14 and 12.

As you can see there are a variety of uses for the Parasol Emerger, I just capitalized on this one to be more successful in fishing my favorite spring creek.

Hope this answered your questions. If not, drop me a line or ask right here through your post. I'm not the expert in parasol flies, but I think I have come up with a pretty good method for anglers to increase their odds at catching finicky trout in challenging waters such as spring creeks.

Hope you give this style of flies a good test run.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.
Pocono, jpbfly, madjoni and 3 others like this.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Awsome tyings Kelly.I once tied some but replaced the parasol by a little foam bead...the fish rose on the bead
Old 11-28-2012, 02:13 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Wow - GREAT FLIES Respect and Congratulations to these great jobs

THORSTEN
Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Kelly, do you tie most of your patterns with a parasol? ie 3/4 ptn w/ parasol and 3/4 without, grhe, ect, ect or just certain paterns?

Also do you find you can fish this pattern year round, or just when something is emerging? I've got a few tied up to try but I'd also hate to waste my time fishing just below the surface when trout are holding a few feet deep.

Thanks, and your step by step helped tremendously! I can't wait to get back out on the river!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 PM

lthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the rough

This is pretty interesting that this thread was started this week. Earlier in the week my dad and I were having a discussion about the Parasol Emerger. He had tied a bunch of them up and really fell in love with the pattern. Being a novice, I wasn't familiar with the pattern. He sent me a couple links on the pattern, which just happened to be from Kelly(kglissmeyer).