The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gatortransplant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 09:57 AM

bigkais89 is on a distinguished road
Default NYS Erie Steelhead Tribs?

Can anyone suggest a few streams located south of Buffalo where i could find some steelhead. I usually fish up north but would like to try the Erie tribs down south. Any helps much appreciated!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-30-2012, 11:22 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: NYS Erie Steelhead Tribs?

By south of Buffalo, you mean NY or Pa.? For NY, a local fly shop always talks up the Cat.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

The Catt is a good one for sure, but can be a little bit tricky since a good bit of it goes through the Seneca Reservation. You would need to do your homework if going there--including having NY State license & Seneca license. I've heard stories about vehicles being broken while on the Reservation, not sure how true this is. I have not fished there.

20 Mile which empties into Lake Erie in PA has in years past been a favorite in both states. I have heard that it took quite a beating from Sandy in PA, not sure the impact she had on it in NY. 20 Mile will give you a shot at both Browns and Steelies.

This page is worth a read.

Western New York - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
The Catt is a good one for sure, but can be a little bit tricky since a good bit of it goes through the Seneca Reservation. You would need to do your homework if going there--including having NY State license & Seneca license. I've heard stories about vehicles being broken while on the Reservation, not sure how true this is. I have not fished there.

20 Mile which empties into Lake Erie in PA has in years past been a favorite in both states. I have heard that it took quite a beating from Sandy in PA, not sure the impact she had on it in NY. 20 Mile will give you a shot at both Browns and Steelies.

This page is worth a read.

Western New York - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
I dont know if i d be interested in goin on the res. Ive heard too many bad stories. And yes it would be NY creeks south of Buffalo.

Last edited by bigkais89; 11-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM

Ttt any suggestions?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

First and foremost, I regularly fish the Rez. It's worth the 45 dollar license. Most those bad stories you hear are either exaggerations or exceptions. You can fish the Catt on either side of the Reservation, but the Reservation has a lot of access, some beautiful water, and plenty of fish.

Other than the Reservation, there are other options. The DEC site, the NY Gazeteer or the Saunder's Guide for $20 bucks are all good resources. So is Google Maps/Google Earth, which I use more than anything else. These places I'm going to list are the most well-known of the Erie tribs and are included on basically every local fishing report and web search, so it's definitely not hot-spotting or anything of the like. However, despite their popularity, you're far more likely to have the water to yourself on the Erie tribs.

So some starters follow here:
Cattauraugus Creek - this is big water and blows out a lot easier than the others, but when it is on it is awesome. And an academic study found that 1 in 5 lake-runners caught there were wild. Which is cool. There is something for everybody on this system.
!8 Mile Creek - a smaller trib but still gets pressure. Some wide sections, some boulder gardens, and a lot of gorge-type wall structure. This is closer to Buffalo than the Catt.
Canadaway - This creek runs through Fredonia. It's very small and gets a lot of pressure. However, if you catch it at the right time you can have fun. Plus it clears quickly.
Chautauqua - the furthest away of the tribs listed. I have a lot less experience here by virtue of that fact. Still a beautiful place and a blend of 18 and C-Way from what I've seen.

Google searches and a lot of staring at maps can put you on accesses at these places, and time spent on the water will help you figure them out. You'll catch less browns and slammers, but there are unicorns to be found at times. And if anyone feels that I am hot-spotting here or blowing out secret spots, I'd be happy to take this post down in favor of a link to the DEC's webpage, which more comprehensively includes the same data.
lthrnk03 likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
First and foremost, I regularly fish the Rez. It's worth the 45 dollar license. Most those bad stories you hear are either exaggerations or exceptions. You can fish the Catt on either side of the Reservation, but the Reservation has a lot of access, some beautiful water, and plenty of fish.

Other than the Reservation, there are other options. The DEC site, the NY Gazeteer or the Saunder's Guide for $20 bucks are all good resources. So is Google Maps/Google Earth, which I use more than anything else. These places I'm going to list are the most well-known of the Erie tribs and are included on basically every local fishing report and web search, so it's definitely not hot-spotting or anything of the like. However, despite their popularity, you're far more likely to have the water to yourself on the Erie tribs.

So some starters follow here:
Cattauraugus Creek - this is big water and blows out a lot easier than the others, but when it is on it is awesome. And an academic study found that 1 in 5 lake-runners caught there were wild. Which is cool. There is something for everybody on this system.
!8 Mile Creek - a smaller trib but still gets pressure. Some wide sections, some boulder gardens, and a lot of gorge-type wall structure. This is closer to Buffalo than the Catt.
Canadaway - This creek runs through Fredonia. It's very small and gets a lot of pressure. However, if you catch it at the right time you can have fun. Plus it clears quickly.
Chautauqua - the furthest away of the tribs listed. I have a lot less experience here by virtue of that fact. Still a beautiful place and a blend of 18 and C-Way from what I've seen.

Google searches and a lot of staring at maps can put you on accesses at these places, and time spent on the water will help you figure them out. You'll catch less browns and slammers, but there are unicorns to be found at times. And if anyone feels that I am hot-spotting here or blowing out secret spots, I'd be happy to take this post down in favor of a link to the DEC's webpage, which more comprehensively includes the same data.
Thanks for the info gator. Ive seen alot of your posts and was hoping you d reply. Those were the creeks i was considering after doin some research on the Nys dec website. I may have to look into the res too. Though $45 for a few times fishing may not be worth it. Lookin forward to checkin out some new water!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yeah, the license only lasts til the end of the year so you might be better off waiting til Spring. However, the others are definitely valid options. Maybe I'll see you out there!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Yeah, the license only lasts til the end of the year so you might be better off waiting til Spring. However, the others are definitely valid options. Maybe I'll see you out there!
Ya maybe ill wait til the 1st. Ill keep an eye out for u when im down there. From the looks of the posts on here ill just look for the guy w the flyod catchin all the steel lol. Thanks again for the info!