The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Ice/cold (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/304243-ice-cold.html)

nickj 12-04-2012 05:23 PM

Ice/cold

I think my little local creek is about done until the next warm spell. I planned lunch there today, between business calls, knew it was going to be a challenge. I figured the only place I'd find fish would be in one of a couple of pools, so headed upstream to the most likely one. This one is about 4 ft at it's deepest, gets good sun. That said, the bottom of the pool was iced over and the surface water temp was 32.9- yep, my wife bought me one of those neat digital temp gauges for my birthday. All that said- there were two fish visibly rising. Caught the first one on an RS2 pretty quickly, laid the line out over the ice.. Tried for the second...my line started sinking, and it got really heavy. And straight.. Everything was freezing up, and my little 3 weight Superfine wasn't up to all that extra weight. So, it looks like Deckers is in my future for a while.

mcnerney 12-04-2012 09:49 PM

Re: Ice/cold

I feel your pain, same thing here, I went out to the Green the other day and got skunked, on the way out I checked the water temp and it was 35 degrees. I guess I need to go down to the tailwaters if I want to fish the rest of the winter.

Larry

itchmesir 12-05-2012 02:18 AM

Gotta love the DA.. Streams here are fed by limestone aquifers that pump out water at 47*F.. even on the coldest day you can still find water in the low 40s

il_wi_fishing 12-05-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchmesir (Post 504280)
Gotta love the DA.. Streams here are fed by limestone aquifers that pump out water at 47*F.. even on the coldest day you can still find water in the low 40s

Yeah, unless you fish Wisconsins DA where its closed for winter.... :mad:

itchmesir 12-05-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il_wi_fishing (Post 504366)
Yeah, unless you fish Wisconsins DA where its closed for winter.... :mad:

support your neighbors and buy a MN License ;)

From what I'm understanding.. 2014 brings a great deal of change to MN.. no more pink lines(ie: limited winter streams you are allowed to fish)... extended season.. no more barbless.. and year round trout waters within Whitewater.. Forestville.. and Beaver Creek State Parks.. Thing is we've been hearing this for a couple years now.. So hopefully it's no longer just talk.. Wish the DNR could just make these decisions instead of a bunch of worthless bureaucrats at the capital