The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 04:23 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Ice/cold

I think my little local creek is about done until the next warm spell. I planned lunch there today, between business calls, knew it was going to be a challenge. I figured the only place I'd find fish would be in one of a couple of pools, so headed upstream to the most likely one. This one is about 4 ft at it's deepest, gets good sun. That said, the bottom of the pool was iced over and the surface water temp was 32.9- yep, my wife bought me one of those neat digital temp gauges for my birthday. All that said- there were two fish visibly rising. Caught the first one on an RS2 pretty quickly, laid the line out over the ice.. Tried for the second...my line started sinking, and it got really heavy. And straight.. Everything was freezing up, and my little 3 weight Superfine wasn't up to all that extra weight. So, it looks like Deckers is in my future for a while.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ice/cold

I feel your pain, same thing here, I went out to the Green the other day and got skunked, on the way out I checked the water temp and it was 35 degrees. I guess I need to go down to the tailwaters if I want to fish the rest of the winter.

Larry

Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Gotta love the DA.. Streams here are fed by limestone aquifers that pump out water at 47*F.. even on the coldest day you can still find water in the low 40s
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Gotta love the DA.. Streams here are fed by limestone aquifers that pump out water at 47*F.. even on the coldest day you can still find water in the low 40s
Yeah, unless you fish Wisconsins DA where its closed for winter....

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 12-05-2012, 01:33 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_wi_fishing View Post
Yeah, unless you fish Wisconsins DA where its closed for winter....
support your neighbors and buy a MN License

From what I'm understanding.. 2014 brings a great deal of change to MN.. no more pink lines(ie: limited winter streams you are allowed to fish)... extended season.. no more barbless.. and year round trout waters within Whitewater.. Forestville.. and Beaver Creek State Parks.. Thing is we've been hearing this for a couple years now.. So hopefully it's no longer just talk.. Wish the DNR could just make these decisions instead of a bunch of worthless bureaucrats at the capital