The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 01:40 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Another Outing in Southeast Idaho - Spring Creekin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl View Post
Its been really warm where I've been lately. Only problem is, there are no trout.

I'd gladly trade places to freeze my ass off. No doubt about it. Great looking water. First thing Id do is make a snow angel. Then I'd dive in.
wtl, what many around here don't realize is that October thru April is the best season for trout where I live. Too many fair-weather anglers give it up when it gets cold. We love it! All of our favorite waters are open year 'round and there are no crowds. In fact, we rarely see other anglers wherever we go. In addition to no crowds, we usually catch our biggest and the most fish during the winter season.

Come on out, you're welcome anytime.

Kelly.
mcnerney and diamond rush like this.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:23 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Nice post, great pics.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:52 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Beautiful fish and pictures! It looks like you were amply rewarded for braving the nasty weather.

Now if only the wind would quit for awhile so I can get out again........ (I am kind of a whimp!...shhhhh don't tell.)
Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post
Beautiful fish and pictures! It looks like you were amply rewarded for braving the nasty weather.

Now if only the wind would quit for awhile so I can get out again........ (I am kind of a whimp!...shhhhh don't tell.)
Hey, spread the word. I'll be tying this Saturday at Portneuf Outfitters at 10:00 a.m. Hope you can be there.

Kelly.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:58 PM

wtl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
wtl, what many around here don't realize is that October thru April is the best season for trout where I live. Too many fair-weather anglers give it up when it gets cold. We love it! All of our favorite waters are open year 'round and there are no crowds. In fact, we rarely see other anglers wherever we go. In addition to no crowds, we usually catch our biggest and the most fish during the winter season.

Come on out, you're welcome anytime.

Kelly.
Sounds great Kelly. I might actually be heading back to the northwest some time this summer. I fished the lochsa for a brief bit in august, nice country.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks all for your comments. Now, for those of you who thought this was cold, take a look at the following pics from yesterday (just two days after we were there) when my son and another friend hit the same spring. They were the only persons on the road in and out. They had a pretty good day, but the temps were even more grueling than Saturday.

Now this is what cold-weather flyfishing looks like!

Click the image to open in full size.

Man, what a difference two days makes:

Best Fishes,

Kelly
Kelly: Now that looks COLD! I bet they worked hard all day trying to keep those guides clear of ice. Brrrrrrr!

Larry

Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Hey, spread the word. I'll be tying this Saturday at Portneuf Outfitters at 10:00 a.m. Hope you can be there.

Kelly.
I hope to be there and have been spreading the word.