The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mcphoto
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM

mdogs444 is on a distinguished road
Default Any help/ideas for going to OR or WA for steel?

A buddy and me are looking to take a trip out west for the spring (Feb-Mar) steelhead run. We currently live in Ohio (steelhead alley area) and have never been out to the PNW for steels. From what I've read, the olympia peninsula near Forks is a good destination, but I don't know much about the area, the rivers, or any cabin rentals/lodging.

Would anyone be able to provide any insight for this vacation?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 AM

mcphoto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any help/ideas for going to OR or WA for steel?

While I won't tell you exactly what rock to stand on, I might be able to help a bit with the lodging and logistical information. Shoot me a PM so we don't have to hotspot anything.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

For that time frame the Rogue River is at its best for Winter Steelhead fishing. Order up the 'Stream Time' Rogue River map; dated it may be, but its still dead on as to access (right down to 1/10th mile). Another great book is BLM's "Rogue River Float Guide." Excellent info on the river from Grants Pass down to where you run out of road (and you do run out of road in the winter!!!!!!

When you fly into Medford you're less than 10 minutes from the River. Another great (very current) resource is Google Earth. Our area 'maps' were updated in 2011 so what you see is exactly what you'll get. Tipping the view you can even 'fly' up the river for a real-time view (it's pretty cool doing that).

Fred
Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about west coast steelhead, but the other day while at the gym I was listening to an episode on "Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio" titled "Tom Larimir--The Deschutes--Rainbows and Steelhead", lots of steelhead fishing information that might be of interest to you even though the river might not be correct for the time of year. For that I would listen to what Fred or mcphoto has said.
Show Archive - Ask About Fly Fishing

Larry

Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link Larry; More hours shot to heck!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Thanks for the link Larry; More hours shot to heck!
Fred: At least I'm keeping you out of trouble!
Take care and have a great day!

Larry

Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Fred: At least I'm keeping you out of trouble!
Take care and have a great day!

Larry
Doesn't take much to keep me 'occupied.' Normal schedule gets me out of bed and on the computer at 0230. Today was no different .... I wanted it to be different, just didn't work out that way.