The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about
Default BWO Wd40 techniques

Just curious about how others fish the WD40? Do you fish it as a dropper under a dry or at the end of a double nymph rig, or use it more in the surface film, or as I do I've added legs using Hungarian Partridge tips on each side and fish it as a #20 soft hackle adding zink to get it to sink or sometimes add a bead head for the same purpose? I was throwing a single fly into the current flow and raising my rod tip to rise the fly towards the surface, if no take I'll drop my rod tip and let the fly continue downstream to raise it again, I can get usually 3 to 4 rises from one drift. I caught many fish like this on the Hiwassee during a BWO hatch
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by zug buggin; 12-21-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:55 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BWO Wd40 techniques

Interesting concept; for salt water Salmon fishing not unusual at all to spray spoons/plugs with this stuff. Not heard of it being used in fresh. Just kidding I know that's the flies name.
oarfish likes this.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You pretty much described how I fish the WD-40.

FWI: Did you know that the WD-40 pattern was developed by Mark Engler of Duranglers fly shop for fishing the San Juan River, but his pattern was much simpler and didn't have a bead, wire ribbing or wings and was tied in very small sizes, sub-20's. I've fished with Mark on a number of occasions.....quite the character!

Larry

Old 12-21-2012, 02:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by zug buggin View Post
Do you fish it as a dropper under a dry or at the end of a double nymph rig, or use it more in the surface film
All of the above but more often than not I sub the wing case with CDC and fish it solo in the film.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Interesting concept; for salt water Salmon fishing not unusual at all to spray spoons/plugs with this stuff. Not heard of it being used in fresh. Just kidding I know that's the flies name.
On my first trip to Montana, to attend a family reunion, I met a bunch of second and third cousins who fished for trout and grayling in high mountain lakes using mini marshmallows sprayed with WD-40. They caught some big ones, too.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:09 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Zug i fish the Hiwassee alot but have never used the BWO WD-40.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I first tied the WD40 in the early 1990's. Although I learned about it on the San Juan River, I was told it was a Colorado pattern.

I believe the pattern which I copied is the original version. The WD in WD40 stands for Wood Duck and the fly was tied with only this material plus the thread and hook. There are no other materials. All the other WD40s that add dubbing and other materials are modified versions of this simple but effective original.

I believe the pattern below is the original.

AmericanFlyFishing.com - Patterns: Fly Tying, WD 40

It is tied similar to the original Pheasant Tail Nymph as tied by Frank Sawyer, except thread rather than copper wire is used. Here is the only known video of Frank Sawyer tying the original pheasant tail nymph using only copper wire, a hook, and pheasant tail fibers.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-25-2012, 11:57 AM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

I'm more interested in how to best fish the fly pictured. Here in Georgia the WD40 is a BWO nymph and tied in sizes #18 to #22. The tail is wood duck tips the abdomen is olive brown thread, rib is very fine gold wire, a greyish olive dubbin for the thorax, usually finishes the fly but I like to add legs split to each side using tips of hungarian Partridge fibers, I also like to add a very small brown glass bead head. I looks as if a wing case in pictured but its only the dubbing. The proportions are much lighter than the Sawyer Pheasant tail, although it might look a little meatier in the picture but the abdomen is only barely larger than the hook shank with 2 layers of brown thread. The fly pictured is size #22
Old 12-25-2012, 01:38 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Fish it how you have been or put a shot 8 inches above it to get it down deep you can still give the lift as the fly swings out past you.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:58 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

On the San Juan, I fish it to follow the hatch. Deep when the hatch starts and then higher in the water column as the fish show head and tail rises.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy