The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 08:23 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough
Default Nymph Box

This winter I've taken on the project of revamping/reorganizing my fly box. Right now I go through it and I see a bunch of GRHE, PTN, and Copper johns, then a TON of random flies. Some I've had success with, some I've hardly fished.

I'm trying to have a more 'productive' fly box, or a fly box of flies I know produce, not just a random assortment of flies the guy at the shop suggested I pick up for the day.

Anyone have any suggestions as I tie through the winter? Here's what I'm hoping to have inventoried so far (some of which is already finished )

Gold Ribbed Hares Ear: Natural, Olive, Black
Pheasant Tail Nymph: Natural, Green, Red, yellow
Copper John: Copper, Red, Blue, Black, Green
Zebra Midges: Assorted Colors
Brassie
Soft Hackle
Tellico
Girdle Bug

I'd like to have a few more tools in my box, what are some of your go to flies, specifically nymphs? I'll be fishing in Western NC to both stocked and wild trout.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:42 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nymph Box

I'm not a big nymph fisherman so take it for what its worth but aside from the PTs and Hare's Ears I like to have scuds or cress bugs and no nymph box should be without a couple Walt's Worms. Its simple nondescript and just looks like food, and yeah it works.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing you should do is turn over rocks in the streams you are fishing and look for life. Tie something up that imitates what you see. Beyond that...

You should add the Two Bit to your box for sure. I don't see any Prince on there either, or caddis larva. I would add those too. Mind you I don't fish where you are, but these will catch fish just about anywhere. Scuds/sow bugs are a must have, especially for spring creeks. The Tungsten Torpedo is another one that's been very productive for me. Slim bodied flies with good weight to it really get the fly down where you want them.

Tie some flies with tungsten beads or double tungsten beads--like the Two Bit I mentioned. That will help get the fly down deep. That fly has caught more fish than I can count since I introduced into my rotation. One day I fished a Two Bit for 3/4's of a day (sun up to sun down) before it literally unraveled on my line. I promptly tied on another and continued to land fish.

The other suggestion if you don't already have it, buy or read George Daniel's book, Dynamic Nymphing. I consider this book a must read for any nymph fisherman. One of the very best fly fishing books I have read. There are tons of techniques in there that have really helped me improve my nymphing. There are also a lot of flies in the book. Some of which I've tied, others I haven't yet tried.

Dynamic Nymphing: Tactics, Techniques, and Flies from Around the World: George Daniel: 9780811707411: Amazon.com: Books Dynamic Nymphing: Tactics, Techniques, and Flies from Around the World: George Daniel: 9780811707411: Amazon.com: Books
itchmesir likes this.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:42 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I think you're current list is complete for 95% of your nymphing needs. GRHE and BHHE in a variety of sizes and the colors you've listed will cover the flat crawler mayfly nymphs and the black is good for stoneflies, which are always present as they have 2-3 year life cycles. The PT's in the colors you have imitate BWO/Baetis nymphs, another very adundant food in nearly all trout streams. Along with the CJs, brassies, and zebra midges I think you are nearly covered. Add a selection of caddis pupa and you are set! If you fish rivers with large stoneflies then tie up some rubber legs, double bead stones, or squirrel tails in dark colors.

Really, your inventory is complete in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
Gold Ribbed Hares Ear: Natural, Olive, Black
Pheasant Tail Nymph: Natural, Green, Red, yellow
Copper John: Copper, Red, Blue, Black, Green
Zebra Midges: Assorted Colors
Brassie
Soft Hackle
Tellico
Girdle Bug
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I think you're current list is complete for 95% of your nymphing needs. GRHE and BHHE in a variety of sizes and the colors you've listed will cover the flat crawler mayfly nymphs and the black is good for stoneflies, which are always present as they have 2-3 year life cycles. The PT's in the colors you have imitate BWO/Baetis nymphs, another very adundant food in nearly all trout streams. Along with the CJs, brassies, and zebra midges I think you are nearly covered. Add a selection of caddis pupa and you are set! If you fish rivers with large stoneflies then tie up some rubber legs, double bead stones, or squirrel tails in dark colors.

Really, your inventory is complete in my opinion.
Agreed, he's got a pretty solid inventory to start with.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I would add the following

Rainbow Warrior
Winter warrior
Green Thing
Shop Vac
RS2
Various micro tube midges
Craven poison tung
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

My nymph boxes consist of 75% productive nymphs. Some of these I have played with on my vise and proven them on the water, or found the need to add via friends. I have a few new nymphs to try every year but if they do not produce after a couple of outtings they get tossed. Not totally but I don't pack them with me. The basic inventory you have is great, I think Prince Nymphs and a few others may be a good addition.
When I tie up a three nymph set I usually have a very heavy Stonefly Nymph or? Then a beadhead nymph like a PTN and then a Clinging Nymph style fly lightly weighted or not at all.
Anyway the fun part is trying out new patterns and building your own box of successful flies.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:23 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Add a couple Pink Squirrels.. nice little pattern that is in just about anyone's box that lives here in the DA
dar likes this.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:24 PM

wcutrout is on a distinguished road

You may wanna throw some beaded junk in there too for those DN streams. BH Egg/Y2K/Squirmy Wormie.

As far as real nymphs (in addition to comeoneavs) I also like:
Batman Prince
Splitcase nymph
SOS trout fly
Old 12-23-2012, 03:32 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

try some stonefly nymphs