The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 12:49 PM

rebelfly is on a distinguished road
Default Coldwater Clothing Advice

I'm going to fishing in Northern Arizon in february. Being a saltwater guy by location, I am unfamiliar with what clothing to to use for weather in the mid-30s to low 20s? And Advice on jackets, etc?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Coldwater Clothing Advice

Hi rebelfly,

Will you be fishing Lee's Ferry or some other place?

Frank
Old 01-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Gotta have waders. Neoprenes would be ok in that climate, but I'd still call breathables your best choice. Wear the wooliest and thickest sock you can fit into your boots and waders without them feeling snug.

I'd go with a midweight long underwear bottom (poly or wool, cotton=vurybad) and a light or midweight fleece layer as well. (can skip the fleece pant if in neoprenes.

Upper body- a light or midweight layer on your skin, a midweight fleece layer, and a shell jacket of some sort. (waterproof/breathable, windproof at minimum) Make sure at least one layer will protect your neck as well.

Wear a hat for sure, windproof fleece would be ideal. Windproof fleece gloves also help, but if the rest of you (and especially your head) is warm, you might be alright without gloves. Fingerless ragg wool gloves with the flip top mitten is a good and generally much cheaper option too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:56 PM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

I just have to mirror the above mentioned items. I normally use neoprenes when fishing in cold weather/water with some long johns under. Remember layer your clothing; you may start out freezing in the morning and it may warm up to the 50's by mid-afternoon.

A small hip flask of El Presidente Brandy helps as anti-freeze, too.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:11 PM

rebelfly is on a distinguished road

Frank...Lee's Ferry

To the other replies: Thanks. As always, I appreciate you being will to share your experience and knowledge.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:34 PM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road

Got back from fishing the Missouri at Craig yesterday. The weather was in the low 30's with a 10+mph wind. The water temp was 33 degrees. I had on a union suit, wool socks, and 3mm neoprene waders. Although my toes got a little cold, the rest of me wasn't cold the whole day. I suggest good neoprenes, heavy socks, chemical warm packs (for hands), and a flask of blackberry brandy! If you don't usually fish cold weather areas, use your normal waders and layer the clothes. Like said above, you can always strip down if you get to warm.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:13 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Just me, but I haven't used neoprene in years.
I fish year round here in the rocky mountains. I wear Orvis nylon medium weight pants and top (Orvis has been the best that I have found, but they are not cheap) a pair of Smart Wool socks made for fishing with the thinner material at the ankle. I wear regular light weight pants over that with a heavy sweatshirt to the river where I will then put on the Fleece Bibs with the foot stirrups and a wool jacket instead of the sweatshirt which is made of cotton (cotton is a no, no). On the really cold days I will wear a down filled shirt over the wool jacket. Top that off with my breathable waders and a tailwater jacket and good gloves with the disposable hand warmers.
These days, I would say with the proper under garments, you really don't need neoprene. Breathable are also wind resistant which does help to keep you warm. I always sweat in neoprene which is not a good thing.
With what I described, I fished the snake at 11:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving in Idaho Falls, and the only thing that got real cold was my finger tips (fingerless gloves) and my nose.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:43 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Here in the Rockies I use my breathable waders layered with polartec tops and bottoms. I wear wool merino socks and a wind/water proof jacket. I also have a pair of neoprene gloves with fingers that pull back and a fleece hat.

Randy
Old 01-14-2008, 07:54 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I have been fishing quite a bit this winter in Montana. Even on days when it has been as cold as 5-10degrees. When it gets really cold i wear a fleece longjohns, flanel pajama's, breathable waders. A drywick teeshirt, a thin fleece layer, then a northface liner inside my waders, and then a shell outside And i am fine in really cold weather.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:10 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

rebelfly,

All the above is excellent advise on what to wear. The biggy though is to remember what not to wear: cotton. Stay away from it.

Joe D.