The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: question about furled leaders

i am a furled leader convert as well
besides being incredibly versatile, they are virtually memory free and, with the tippet ring, a breeze to change tippets.
as far as length, i mainly use 5' leaders and adjust accordingly

casey
fredaevans and cattech89 like this.

ARFE
Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

A major difference between a furled leader and a single strand leader is the way each of them transfers the energy generated by your cast out to your fly.

A furled leader relies on it's inherent mass, it behaves just like your fly line does. On the other hand, a single strand leader typically has much less mass, so it relies on it's stiffness to turn itself over. So a well designed furled leader can turn itself over while being more supple. The more supple a leader is, the better it is able to deal with variance in currents as it floats on the surface.

I just about always fish with a furled leader, but I just about always fish with dry/damp flies. The larger diameter of a furled leader can become a consideration if I want to sink the leader thru the water column. A single strand leader has a smaller cross section, hence all things being equal, provides less resistance to cutting thru the water when it sinks.

One of the reasons I like a furled leader for the types of fishing I do is that I often like to swing my fly. Since the furled leader is larger in diameter, it is easier for the current to "catch" it and create the swing I want to impart.

Hope that helps a bit.

have fun,
fredaevans likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 12-28-2012, 09:37 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm going to the one guy so far the bucks the trend here but fishing over the Maxima Cum Laude fish of the Pa Limestoners if your furled leader absorbs any water and throws spray anywhere near a fish you target say good bye. If you apply payette paste regularly it shouldn't be an issue but for me if the professor fish are looking up I get too excited to think about pastes and floatants so I switched back to long mono. All my other fishing, dries wets and nymphs, is done with Joni's leaders and I've fished Cutthroat's too. Where I think they shine is swinging wets and soft hackles, they're very sensitive and you can feel the subtle tick that sometimes happens while swinging the small stuff and gives you enough warning to make a mend and drop the fly back a little for a second take. That and getting deep without a clunky sink tip, soak it in Sinket and it drops like a stone without all the added weight and casting issues.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I'm going to the one guy so far the bucks the trend here
I don't disagree with you in that there is no one universal solution which is optimal for every situation and condition. I will say that I haven't seen a problem with furled leaders trapping water, but that's not to say it won't happen.

One type of leader that does tend to throw a spray is a braided leader. Braided leaders are hollow inside, due to the way they are constructed. They do tend to suck up and hold water. Furled leaders on the other hand aren't hollow. That's not to say they might not be fairly loosely furled, or they might be made of a material that tends to absorb water, in which case they could cause a spray.

As with all things fishingwise - Different horses for different courses.
fredaevans likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Good call there '22' on the differences in construction. The materials the FL's are made of is all important. If you want it to really float over a long period of casting you do need to goop it, or conversely 'sinkit.'

With fishing dry, the cast will tend to knock out a lot of the water .. but time/materials used may/will take care of that being a 'non-starter.'
Old 12-28-2012, 12:30 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

On a good freestone it's never been an issue but the FSB and Big Spring fish will spook at your footsteps if you just cruise on up to the bank. If you've ever fished these little creeks you'd get what I mean (I'm sure DePuy's/Armstrog and other Western waters can be as fickle). The fish are tough to find and when you do find one pushed up against the bank or sipping olives somewhere out in open water, my heart gets a'pumping and I'm more concentrated on the currents I have to deal with over how long ago did I smear some paste on there. Its a bummer too because you can really lay down a slack cast with the furled leaders and they cast great off the tip but for my own laziness when I'm on the Ivy League streams I tie on a 12/15' mono leader following the Harvey method.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 PM

mizuno is on a distinguished road

I have used furled leaders when dry fly fishing for trout or poppers for bass and sunfish and I really like the way they perform. I mostly nymph fish with a small thingabobber for trout and continue to use a traditional tapered leader. I really would like to switch over to a furled leader but I am unsure how to set it up with the strike indicator. I like the furled leaders with the tippet rings and some of the runs it is not uncommon to set a depth of 3-1/2 - 4 feet between the strike indicator and the nymph. My question is how to set it up with the thingabobber? Do I just tie on 5-6 feet of tippet and adjust depth accordingly keeping the strike indicator below the tippet ring? Intuitively that seems like the only way to do it, but then the total leader will be 10-12 feet in length. I would appreciate hearing how others use a furl leader with a strike indicator.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:23 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a 4 or 5ft furled leader you'll be in the ball park of a 9' tapered mono leader anyways. I have put the indicator on the tip of the furled leader if I needed just a bit more depth, but usually don't need to with 5 or 6 ft of tippet.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You would set it up the same way you do with a mono leader. I assume it would be a better non slip surface for the thingamabobber also. I have never used them so I'm guessing here but if I were to crimp a splitshot on a furled leader I know it would hold better than on mono. I haven't done that either. I had an idea that involves a thingamabobber so I am going to give it a try this next summer. I can't imagine the furled leader posing a problem.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Rarely do I use indicators or thingamabobbers but I did start using furled leaders this year and they are great! While Salmon fishing this year got into a lengthy discussion with some local guides about furled leaders. They all used them and all put the indicators at the last loop of the furled leader. I say loop because we all use mono furled leaders with no tippet ring. They then adjust the tippet attached to the furled leader accordingly. I would think you could do the same with the thread furled leaders with the tippet rings as well .
This system would allow you to change the length or strength of your tippet without effecting your indicator placement.
Sort of like having those plastic bobbers with the red nipple that you push in to adjust your depth!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser