The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I'm going to the one guy so far the bucks the trend here but fishing over the Maxima Cum Laude fish of the Pa Limestoners if your furled leader absorbs any water and throws spray anywhere near a fish you target say good bye. If you apply payette paste regularly it shouldn't be an issue but for me if the professor fish are looking up I get too excited to think about pastes and floatants so I switched back to long mono. All my other fishing, dries wets and nymphs, is done with Joni's leaders and I've fished Cutthroat's too. Where I think they shine is swinging wets and soft hackles, they're very sensitive and you can feel the subtle tick that sometimes happens while swinging the small stuff and gives you enough warning to make a mend and drop the fly back a little for a second take. That and getting deep without a clunky sink tip, soak it in Sinket and it drops like a stone without all the added weight and casting issues.
Good point WT about the payette. When I get a new furled leader I thoroughly coat it with Loon Payette. Then occasionally again when I notice the leaders riding low on the water.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 12-30-2012, 12:29 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about furled leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
Good point WT about the payette. When I get a new furled leader I thoroughly coat it with Loon Payette. Then occasionally again when I notice the leaders riding low on the water.
I coat mine every time I head out, perhaps I'm doing it too often? Just have to be careful to not drop it in the dirt once it's freshly coated or it'll be coated in dirt.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:13 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I guess maybe it depends on the leader (construction and material). I've never purposely added any treatment to my leaders and have never had a problem. I do occasionally use my leader as a napkin, if I've applied a drop of fly floatant to my fly, and end up with slippery finger tips, I'll run them over my leader. My primary goal is to clean off my fingers, there isn't enough floatant remnant to have any significant effect on the leader.

So do you guys treat your tippet as well?

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: question about furled leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post

So do you guys treat your tippet as well?
In a word 'No,' well .... truth be told, the idea had never occurred to me. Low water skating flies for Steelhead; sounds like a darned good idea.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I have some cutthroat furled leaders, 50" hi-vis nymphing with tippet ring. I like them. They will need treated with a floatant.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:32 PM

rkm22 is on a distinguished road

I have recently started using furled leaders on my 6.5ft 3wt. Because of the way I fish this set up, drifting flies from an upstream position on the small streams that I fish, I can't attest to the positive attributes of furled leaders in regard to dry fly fishing. However, I can say that Jaime Chriswisser of Zen Outfitters produces a great furled leader and is a pleasure to deal with. I would strongly recommend that you check out his line of furled leaders.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I doubt I will ever use a furled leader. I make my own tapered leaders and they work fine. Every once in a while, I will buy a knotless tapered leader and then add a tippet. I often grease my leader with silicone boot grease when I want it to float for a long time....especially when using very long leaders when fishing with very tiny flies in still water situations.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluz View Post
I doubt I will ever use a furled leader. I make my own tapered leaders and they work fine. Every once in a while, I will buy a knotless tapered leader and then add a tippet. I often grease my leader with silicone boot grease when I want it to float for a long time....especially when using very long leaders when fishing with very tiny flies in still water situations.
My question would be 'Why Knot.' Pun intended, bad as it may be.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

dpreller....
I would have answered this sooner, but I have been at various trade shows for the past two weeks. Away from the computer.
your question was..
ok so i think im gonna try some cutthroat leaders but im a little confused. i have used the search function but dont see the answer to my exact question. I do alot of fishing on tail waters finicky fish small flies, 12ft 6 or 7x alot . so im assuming the dry fly leader with 6ft or so of 6 or7x question is since that furled leader is fairly large does it spook fish and second will that long of a tippet turn over and allow me good accuracy seems like it would still not want to turn over and would make the fly kind of drift around and not land right where i want it.my goal is the most drag free drift and to eliminate having to change leaders after adding tippet a couple of times.

When a long 7x tippet is desired, I tell people they should tie on a length of 5x first and then have at least 18-24” of 7x tippet for the last section. 5x and even some 6x can be used when casting long lengths of tippet, but 7x does not have enough mass / material to turn lover very long lengths. I hope that makes sense. Of course standard rules apply, larger / heavier fly equals larger tippet size, so this is a generalization. The fact this system allows to fish a long length of 5x / 7x tippet gives amazing drifts. Please do not hesitate to PM me or send an email through the site.

Thank you,

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM

+1 to what Mike just said. If I have to add leader under 5 # test I'll also do a 'step down.'