The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 PM

mizuno is on a distinguished road
Default Re: question about furled leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
dpreller....
I would have answered this sooner, but I have been at various trade shows for the past two weeks. Away from the computer.
your question was..
ok so i think im gonna try some cutthroat leaders but im a little confused. i have used the search function but dont see the answer to my exact question. I do alot of fishing on tail waters finicky fish small flies, 12ft 6 or 7x alot . so im assuming the dry fly leader with 6ft or so of 6 or7x question is since that furled leader is fairly large does it spook fish and second will that long of a tippet turn over and allow me good accuracy seems like it would still not want to turn over and would make the fly kind of drift around and not land right where i want it.my goal is the most drag free drift and to eliminate having to change leaders after adding tippet a couple of times.

When a long 7x tippet is desired, I tell people they should tie on a length of 5x first and then have at least 18-24” of 7x tippet for the last section. 5x and even some 6x can be used when casting long lengths of tippet, but 7x does not have enough mass / material to turn lover very long lengths. I hope that makes sense. Of course standard rules apply, larger / heavier fly equals larger tippet size, so this is a generalization. The fact this system allows to fish a long length of 5x / 7x tippet gives amazing drifts. Please do not hesitate to PM me or send an email through the site.

Thank you,
I was always told that I needed to keep the leader and a short section of fly line outside the tip guide to decrease the chance of a fish breaking off when playing and landing a fish. My question is if you are using a 10-12 ft leader how do you get the fish close enough to land without retrieving the leader past the tip guide?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:26 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I see this on some fly fishing shows...the fisherman says he has on a 12ft leader, and 3ft tippet,,YET,,when he lands his fish at his feet,,,he'll have a foot,,,or more,,,of flyline out of the rod tip. Either the fisherman is a hell'va lot taller than my 6ft... and fishing with one long assed rod,,,,,,,,,,,,OR they are mis-representing leader length veryyyy bad.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I often use very long leaders when fishing for skittish trout with small flies. I've never encountered any problems having part of the leader in the rod guides.

A way to reduce any problems would be to use a long knotless tapered leader that ends at around 10 lb test and then add more leader length by adding short lengths of finer leader material then add a finer tippet. The only knot will be the one connecting the leader to the fly line.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno View Post
I was always told that I needed to keep the leader and a short section of fly line outside the tip guide to decrease the chance of a fish breaking off when playing and landing a fish. My question is if you are using a 10-12 ft leader how do you get the fish close enough to land without retrieving the leader past the tip guide?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
I see this on some fly fishing shows...the fisherman says he has on a 12ft leader, and 3ft tippet,,YET,,when he lands his fish at his feet,,,he'll have a foot,,,or more,,,of flyline out of the rod tip. Either the fisherman is a hell'va lot taller than my 6ft... and fishing with one long assed rod,,,,,,,,,,,,OR they are mis-representing leader length veryyyy bad.
Nope, they are not BSing you. I hold my rod high. That gives you you a bunch of room. Then you are holding the tip away from the fish wich gives you more room. Like the sides of a triangle. Thanks to my back now being full of shot discs, I am a good bit shorter than I was. So I am not even 6' tall, and I land fish with a three foot tippet and no leader in the rod. I use a 15' rod, 12' leader and 3' tippet.

Here is a video where I do it with a 15' rod and 15' of leader. I never had any of the leader in the rod. By the way, notice where my buddy askes if it was as big as the one I lost and I say no, not even close. The one I lost before this was really a monster.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Wow....dandy pike.

The pike in my region jump a lot....especially when caught on a fly which is strange because the pike I caught elsewhere in Ontario and Quebec do not jump very often.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not all of them jump here either. Once in a while I get one that does it a lot. Smaller ones are more likely to here. I did get a pretty big one last year that did a big cartwheeling jump. It was pretty cool. It was this one here.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:00 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, nice fish! I've only caught them while fishing for bass in Wisconsin, and never that big It's fun when swinging streamers for bass to see a torpedo shoot out of the reeds or logs and take the fly. Someday I'll have to target larger ones.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Hell of a fish there. Interesting bit is these are considered an 'invasive specie' here in Oregon and Washington. Oregon Invasive Species Council March 2011- Pike

Another one is the 'PikeMinnow,' and its open season on these guys on the Columbia River and several of its Tribs. If memory serves there's even a 'bounty' on them.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
If memory serves there's even a 'bounty' on them.
Is it a good enough bounty to say.... pay for my addiction?
williamhj likes this.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I just emailed Joni about her leaders, I am looking at getting into using furled, seems a lot of people lately are starting to swear by them, and after my first experience of using a pre made leader I will never go that way again haha so Ill either end up with furled or making my own again.