The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road
Default question about furled leaders

ok so i think im gonna try some cutthroat leaders but im a little confused. i have used the search function but dont see the answer to my exact question. I udo alot of fishing on tail waters finicky fish small flies, 12ft 6 or 7x alot . so im assuming the dry fly leader with 6ft or so of 6 or7x question is since that furled leader is fairly large does it spook fish and second will that long of a tippet turn over and allow me good accuracy seems like it would still not want to turn over and would make the fly kind of drift around and not land right where i want it.my goal is the most drag free drift and to eliminate having to change leaders after adding tippet a couple of times.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about furled leaders

Definitely give the furled leader a try. I love it for delicate presentations and turning over long tippets, though I also use it for nymphs, hoppers, etc. Really use it for everything unless I'm swinging streamers for bass.

While it is not as clear like mono, furled leader does taper down from a thicker butt section to a thinner tip section. Also, remember that a tapered mono leader still casts a shadow and can spook fish when it's floating on the surface, so the furled leader is not as much of a disadvantage as you might assume.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

dpreller,

I've not found that the large furled leader spooks fish very often, especially if you have long enough of a tippet. The furled leader will actually help you give a softer presentation. If you must have a tippet so long that you have problems turning it over you can step down your tippet. (e.g. leader, 4x, 6x.) That should help to transfer energy and help you turn over the tippet.
I've not used Cutthroat leaders but I've heard good things about them. Personally, I use Joni's leaders. http://utahflygoddess.yolasite.com/
She's a forum member and I've never had a bad product from her.

Just my half-nickel...
fredaevans likes this.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 12-27-2012, 03:41 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
dpreller,

I've not found that the large furled leader spooks fish very often, especially if you have long enough of a tippet. The furled leader will actually help you give a softer presentation. If you must have a tippet so long that you have problems turning it over you can step down your tippet. (e.g. leader, 4x, 6x.) That should help to transfer energy and help you turn over the tippet.
I've not used Cutthroat leaders but I've heard good things about them. Personally, I use Joni's leaders. http://utahflygoddess.yolasite.com/
She's a forum member and I've never had a bad product from her.

Just my half-nickel...
As do I. I even use these things on my 2handers, work a total treat laying out at the end of a 90'ish foot cast. Only thing that I'd add as 'a must' is the tiny (2-3mm) ring on the end. Makes changing out the added tippet section a no brainer.

The sinking ones do just that, they sink like a rock. In the 2hander world you put one of these on in front of an intermediate sinking head (Scandi/Skagit head) and you are down deeper, faster, longer than you'll be with almost any head system. Better yet, the rig rolls right back to the surface (effortless) for the next cast.

And if you're fishing for Steelhead, you'll have lots of 'next casts.'

Forgot to add: If you want a floater (or sinker) give the furled leader a light coating of a musilen (or 'SinkIt). These things (usually) are made with material that will absorb water. A good thing, but if you want a 'all day' floater, you should give same a bit of help.
Guest1 likes this.

Last edited by fredaevans; 12-27-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Really use it for everything unless I'm swinging streamers for bass..
I even use them for that. Just out of curiosity, why not?

I have become a serious fan of furled leaders. I also use Joni's leaders but have heard good stuff about Cutthroat leaders as well. I like furled leaders a lot more than I thought I would and really regret not trying them sooner.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I have been using furled or braided leaders for many years...first off I like the fact that they absorb some shock experienced w/ larger species ( or just bigger trout...20" and plus size)...also that they lay out so well...

I use them rather than regular leaders a lot( probably 90%), tying onto them a length of flouro tippet rather than the typical use of leaders...

even w/ dry flies I use the same and just "grease" the flouro w/ ginks or similar for flotation...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac ą linne, slat ą coille is fiadh ą fģreach - mčirle ąs nach do ghabh gąidheal riamh nąire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 12-27-2012, 06:45 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I even use them for that. Just out of curiosity, why not?

I have become a serious fan of furled leaders. I also use Joni's leaders but have heard good stuff about Cutthroat leaders as well. I like furled leaders a lot more than I thought I would and really regret not trying them sooner.
I have used it for that. In Michigan I'd swing streamers waiting for the hex to start and I'd be ready to switch to dries. If I'm just doing streamers on my 6 or 8wt I just put on 4 feet of straight mono and don't worry about taper or anything.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I fish the San Juan River in New Mexico a few weeks each year and I now always use a furled leader for dry flies or nymphing. I will not go back to tapered leaders. Easy to add Gink or Xink where needed.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

thanks guys you are a wealth of info. im definetly gonna give them a try for dries. one more question. if you use the nymph leader how much tippet do you use. im generaly fishing fairly shallow water no more than about six feet and not real swift. or should i just use the floater and add tippet.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I use them exclusively. For smaller dries or spooky fish, just lengthen your tippet.