The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any 10wt suggestions for a poor caster?

I used to have that rod. It's a pretty deep flexing rod. I wish that I wouldn't have sold it. However, I now have an Access 8wt.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:07 AM

tpcollins is on a distinguished road

Well, I bought a Sage Xi3 9' 10wt blank on ebay last night - I'll take casting lessons this summer if needed.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:21 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcollins View Post
Well, I bought a Sage Xi3 9' 10wt blank on ebay last night - I'll take casting lessons this summer if needed.
Having the recent pleasure of casting one of these for an entire day on the flats of florida, I have only one suggestion for this rod....

10wt TITAN TAPER!!!

90' casts with 2 false casts were practically effortless with that line. Absolutely stellar combo
mrfzx likes this.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I absolutely love the Titan taper!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 AM

tpcollins is on a distinguished road

Well I sort of went in a different direction than I was anticipating. As stated I have more into the (3) 10wt fly lines than the Colton 10wt rod so I wound up getting a good deal on a Sage Xi3 10wt blank off of fleabay so we'll see if I can cast this a bit better once it's built.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 AM

It's a nice rod. I have casted this rod before. You should have no problem loading up and sending the line flying out there! Enjoy!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

Practice?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I've had an older Colton 10wt and currently have a St. Croix Avid. Surprisingly, I felt that the Colton was slower than the Avid. Now, it was an older Colton so that may make the difference.

The Avid is still rather slow enough and not too demanding. I would put in some practice, tho. Start with something manageable, like a 5wt and work up. IMO, the 10 is not something you want to be out all day slinging around like it was a 4wt. Again, my opinion, but if you are saltwater fishing, you usually doing sight fishing, not "prospecting". So you need to learn to get the fly to where you want it on a single cast.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 PM

mcphoto is on a distinguished road

Looks like you got it figured out...but, FWIW, the Redington Predator is a sweeeeeet stick in the $250 price range. It's a broomstick, and might not be the best permit rod, but you can't beat it for the heavy lifting. 10wt Titan Taper rocks on it.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:12 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

Fast actions can be tough, I had a similar problem with a TFO TiCrX which is very fast action. I don't mean for this to sound like I'm putting you down but Why not take some casting lessons and fix the problem?