The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Bronze trout

Hope someone can help me out here. I'm aware of different kinds of trout. Wasn't too long ago that I had only heard of the three (browns, brookies and rainbow).

While perusing some bamboo rod sites, I came across mention of an allusive and hard to catch "bronze trout" that evidently is rare but catchable in Maine.

Here is a photo of it. Am I crazy or does this thing look like a chubb? Is the name "bronze trout" a code name for "chubb/fall fish"?

Click the image to open in full size.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-06-2013, 03:39 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bronze trout

You got it, sometimes we call'em Rocky River Bonefish, or what ever river it might be.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That is an enourmous species of Chub. We have a few species here but none of them ever get that big, at least not that I have ever seen.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
That is an enourmous species of Chub. We have a few species here but none of them ever get that big, at least not that I have ever seen.
They get big here in NH, too.

I've caught a few that really whacked the fly. Thought I had a good trout.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:42 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Hope someone can help me out here. I'm aware of different kinds of trout. Wasn't too long ago that I had only heard of the three (browns, brookies and rainbow).

While perusing some bamboo rod sites, I came across mention of an allusive and hard to catch "bronze trout" that evidently is rare but catchable in Maine.

Here is a photo of it. Am I crazy or does this thing look like a chubb? Is the name "bronze trout" a code name for "chubb/fall fish"?

Click the image to open in full size.
It sure looks like a huge chubb.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Ya that's a chubb, I've got them allot bigger than that up here in the river.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
They get big here in NH, too.
You ain't kidding! Only chubb I have caught was ice fishing at Everett Lake at Clough State Park. The thing was huge. About the size of a 1 1/2 pound bass!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

It's a fallfish.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Rivers here are loaded with them up to two pounds!

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

And they are in the minnow family.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Last edited by theboz; 01-06-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with theboz. That's a fall fish and they get big. I see em in my local river all the time to 12-14 inches.
They love dry flies but they're not worth the slime.
theboz likes this.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:09 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'm with theboz. That's a fall fish and they get big. I see em in my local river all the time to 12-14 inches.
They love dry flies but they're not worth the slime.
Not worth the slime is so true! Haha! And they always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time! Last one I caught bog smallies busting all around see a rise ,all pumped up ,cast bam fallfish what a let down . But that's fishing and better then nothing I guess.
Oh and the love the same yellow poppers Delaware River Smallmouths love!
Dang big minnows!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser