The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 12:02 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default How to work water, that may/may not have trout

I have been working an unnamed spring creek i found thats about 10 miles long, and runs around 80 CFS in the upper reaches, and maybe around 150CFS down below. I have access to the upper 4 miles, and the lower 3 miles, I used to have access to the middle section, which is by far the best, I have pulled out browns to 22". The problem is the rancher recently sold the land to a developer. And they already came out and yelled at me for fishing on it, although i just got a warning. The upper stretch has browns that run around 10-15".

The lower stretch I have only fished twice. By the time i can get access it has already flowed through quite a bit of ranchland, and the water can be muddier just because of the ammount of cattle. The first time i tried a couple nymphs the second time i busted out my spinner rod yet still i have never even pulled a hit. I wonder if maybe the combination of cattle, and maybe the ranchers pulling lots of water in the summer could kill all the fish down there. Anyone have any ideas on what i could try to even get a strike?

How much effort do you guys put in, in water you have never fished, and have never heard of anyone fishing? Is 4 days too many? 2 too few?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: How to work water, that may/may not have trout

Hi MTskibum,

It is not uncommon in a small stream for the fish to be concentrated in certain sections with better conditions. The cattle are adding more than mud to the water if they are allowed to wade into the stream. I would compare the temperature and Ph of the water from the upper part to the lower part. It sounds like the upper and middle parts of the river is where the fish are holding. It is not uncommon for parts of a stream to hold nice trout while other sections hold none or few.

If you are catching fish in the upper and middle sections of the stream I would think the same techniques would work down below. If you are catching fish on over half the river on nymphs those same nymphs should also be present in the lower stretch of river. It may be the lower water is hotter or otherwise unsuitable because of the cattle. I would be happy to have 4 miles of stream that I have access to and know that it holds fish.

Frank
Old 01-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I agree with Frank: temperature and oxygenation would be the simple factors affecting fish count in the lower stretch. If the too much manure is making its way into the stream, that could definitely have an effect as well.

And also that 4 miles of stream is a pretty great stretch to have access to.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:37 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i'd say three days is JUSSSSSSSST right!

10-15 inch browns sounds nice, especially since you're already landed the 22 inchers from the middle. perhaps there can be an arrangement made with the new developers in the end for that middle section, but until then, montana's a big place i hear... i'm curious, what kind of elevation levels are we talking about from the uper to the lower sections of your river?

cattle grazing is a big problem for fish habitat. in some places here, efforts have been made to install or repair fencing to keep cattle from creeks. perhaps something similar could be worked upon to improve that middle section. too bad it's now in developers' hands...

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:34 PM

Over lunch i went home and grabbed the photos i took from when i went fishing on this lower stretch.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here are pictures of a couple springs i found in the lower stretch, I had lots of time to take pictures, as i wasnt catching any fish. The springs are sporadic, and disapear completely about 1 mile into the lower stretch.

This middle one is actually a small "crick" that feeds it.

I think there probably is a lower population of fish due to the cattle, and dewatering that happens in the summer. But less fish could mean less competition, and therefor bigger fish. I am defenintly putting in 1 more day, maybe 2.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Skibum,
Is there any insect life, minnows/ Sculpin?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-16-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Hey Skibum,
Is there any insect life, minnows/ Sculpin?
I noticed a school of (brown trout fry??) minnows up one of the "spring feeds" on the upper part of the lower stretch. I really have no reason to believe that there isnt trout in at least the first mile of the state access/cool landowners, they may be at a lower density, but they are most likely there.

But how quickly can trout disapear? can they disapear over a period of 1-2 miles? I would believe that they would at least thin out over a 3-4 mile period minimum. That lower area there has a fair bit of water. And there werent enough irrigation draw offs to lead me to believe that they would completely dewater that section in the late summer.

Probably wont find out if there is fish untill 1 or 2 more days on the water.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:51 PM

FlyFisher77 is on a distinguished road

Who is the developer? Remember, as long you are in the highwater mark, you shouldn't even of had a warning. If they come after you, it is harassment and I would report them. If you are in Cell phone range, which I doubt from gandering at these pictures, I would call a game warden myself. It is your right to fish these waters (which we hope doesn't change) and if I was you, I would squash anyone whom tried to take that right from you.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 PM

FlyChick is on a distinguished road

Wow those pics are gorgeous. Wish I was there myself!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
I noticed a school of (brown trout fry??) minnows up one of the "spring feeds" on the upper part of the lower stretch. I really have no reason to believe that there isnt trout in at least the first mile of the state access/cool landowners, they may be at a lower density, but they are most likely there.

But how quickly can trout disapear? can they disapear over a period of 1-2 miles? I would believe that they would at least thin out over a 3-4 mile period minimum. That lower area there has a fair bit of water. And there werent enough irrigation draw offs to lead me to believe that they would completely dewater that section in the late summer.

Probably wont find out if there is fish untill 1 or 2 more days on the water.

What about insect life? in the whole area, not just by the springs.
I think Frank and Cliff are onto something too.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*