The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By panks3436
  • 1 Post By lthrnk03

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 03:37 AM

panks3436 is on a distinguished road
Default Already talking about the salmon run

Hey fellas. Im new to this forum and some different types of salmon and steelehead fly fishing around the Salmon river. Im currently deployed yet again to Afghanistan and am trying to get all my flies tied and geared up again for the upcoming runs this fall. I grew up fishing with my uncle in Alaska for chinook and coho and baisicly applied the same stratagies to the northeast and came out fairly successful but not exactly where I want to be. I know that every area has its must fish this way with this and that kinda mentality going on and was wondering if you fellas might be able to throw me a few tips to get me up to par. Ive heard a lot about estaz eggs and egg sucking leeches which go hand in hand down there for salmon and steelies. Also, any advice on line and leader and tippets?
ben664 and baseman1 like this.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:48 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Already talking about the salmon run

Quote:
Originally Posted by panks3436 View Post
Hey fellas. Im new to this forum and some different types of salmon and steelehead fly fishing around the Salmon river. Im currently deployed yet again to Afghanistan and am trying to get all my flies tied and geared up again for the upcoming runs this fall. I grew up fishing with my uncle in Alaska for chinook and coho and baisicly applied the same stratagies to the northeast and came out fairly successful but not exactly where I want to be. I know that every area has its must fish this way with this and that kinda mentality going on and was wondering if you fellas might be able to throw me a few tips to get me up to par. Ive heard a lot about estaz eggs and egg sucking leeches which go hand in hand down there for salmon and steelies. Also, any advice on line and leader and tippets?

Steelheading is not my forte'. But welcome and thank you for your service and standing on the wall for us!!
baseman1 likes this.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 AM

flytie09 will become famous soon enough

Flies to use should include egg patterns (sucker spawn, crystal meth, glo bugs, Y2Ks, nuke eggs, etc), larger nymph patterns (stoneflys which there are patterns too numerous to list them all), streamer patterns (hair wing streamers, muddlers, clouser minnows, etc) and big intruder style patterns.

These fish will hit out of aggression, curiosity, or protection of redds. You will see a lot of different techniques out there. Some spot fish in shallow water, others swing in deeper pools, others dead drift with indicators the seams and end of pools and theres other wack jobs clubbing them and dragging them on shore. I suggest try all legal methods with a 9' - 10' single hand or switch rod.

As for leaders, I've started to use poly leaders matched with a switch rod taper line or salmon/steelhead taper fly line. I have tried them and like the versatility they offer. You can quickly adapt to different river conditions using the different sink rate tips and they do help a little with casting 2 handed. You can use the traditional mono or fluoro leaders in 0x and a little extra weight, but the use of poly leaders helps you trim down the amount of lead you're tossing around. Chuck and ducking works, but it doesn't feel or look much like fly fishing.

When you get there, stop at a fly shop and get other local patterns, flow rates, sections of the river to target, and find a good overview map of the river showing roads, parking areas, and hole names. This way when people mention places, you're not saying "Where is Ellis Cove?".

Salmon season is ok, but expect big crowds. You can walk up/down river to find some peace, but don't expect solitude. I target steelheads when I can later in the fall, but you use the time on the river to enjoy it no matter when you can make it there.

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Hi Panks !!

Maybe we will see us this fall ! I will be on the SR from 2nd to 13 th of november.

What I've learned (for steelhead) : sucker spawn, glo bug, stoneflies and wooly bugger are the keys.

Courage in Afghanistan ! I have also a friend in Mali....