The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 05:25 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Re: Material for Sucker spawn : Angora yarn vs Glo Bug yarn ?

Ok I will have a look at Gary's blog.

Here some of my flies with otter's egg (sorry for pict quality)

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I haven't fished or tied the Otter Eggs, but I do have some. I've heard that if you keep different colored eggs together in a box, they can bleed together. That makes me wonder if they could bleed onto other flies. Maybe that's been corrected with newer versions of the product?
Hi Jaybo ! True, when I recieve my first order of Otter's egg, on the "how to" guide, it say that you don't have to mix colors. Using this type of box, the problem is solved

Last edited by ben664; 01-20-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

The original material for sucker spawn was angora yarn. I tye some with micro egg yarn, but my favorite item to tye them with is diamond braid. I tye them with chartreuse, pink, blue, and my favorite shrimp pink which looks peach colored to me. It has a very nice sparkle to it.

Dan
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
The original material for sucker spawn was angora yarn. I tye some with micro egg yarn, but my favorite item to tye them with is diamond braid. I tye them with chartreuse, pink, blue, and my favorite shrimp pink which looks peach colored to me. It has a very nice sparkle to it.

Dan
Those work really well too. The fly shops around these parts call them Krystal Meth or after the uproar about the name, Krystal Spawn. For low and clear conditions, I tie mine with only one piece of diamond braid, tied right down the center.
theboz likes this.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Those work really well too. The fly shops around these parts call them Krystal Meth or after the uproar about the name, Krystal Spawn. For low and clear conditions, I tie mine with only one piece of diamond braid, tied right down the center.
Krystal Meth pattern is deadly (no pun intended) ! Tie mine the same way one strand of braid down the middle. Blue diamond braid tied in with blue floss is outstanding!
jaybo41 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Krystal Meth pattern is deadly (no pun intended) ! Tie mine the same way one strand of braid down the middle. Blue diamond braid tied in with blue floss is outstanding!
Blue eggs are a must have. I have at least one shade of blue in every type of egg fly that I fish. It's the first color I tie on as the sun is coming up on the tribe and sometimes one of the last at the end of the day. Unless of course I've found that something else is too irresistible.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Hi !!

I just recieve Angora yarn for sucker spawns. For flies size 12 and 14, how many pieces of yarn I need ? 2 or 3 ?

I tie one size 12 with 2 pieces and the fly look a little slim. But with 3, maybe a little big.... any advice ?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 AM

Hi Ben,

I tie my SS's by taking a cut of the angora yarn and separating the three strands so you have 3 pieces from the one cut. For #14's I use all three strands. While I don't tie mine in #12, I would probably stick with the same method I mentioned and use three strands. Sometimes I'll use a different color in the center just to mix it up a bit. For #16's or smaller I only like two strands.

If you can, post some photos of your finished flies.
ben664 likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM

Thanks Jaybo;

I will tie some flies and post pict.

Thanks for the answer

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Here the 1 st one (pict from my movil phone)

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

I use for both 3 strands of angora (separate one en 3 small)

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

And for this last one, 6 strands (2 pieces of angora). Maybe too much materials.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 PM

The profile is spot on Ben, nicely done! Your color choices are right on, thanks for posting the photos. Pale pink, cream and peach are my top producers but it's good to have some hot colors in the mix for higher flows when the water has some turbidity to it.

I tie mine with 4 distinct loops of the yarn. Using the 3 single strands of the 1 cut of angora separated also makes it easier to get another loop in the tie. I like to tie my eggs sparse so they drop down in the zone a little easier, but it doesn't hurt to have a few in the box that have a little more material in them. Sometimes that can be advantageous.

I tie my Krystal Meth/Krystal Spawn with 4 loops of diamond braid coming off the shank also and only with one cut of diamond braid. When I see these in the shops or online, they're mostly done with 2 or 3 strands and that's just too much material to suit me.
ben664 likes this.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 AM

Thanks !

I also have hot colors like steelhead orange, blue, chartreuse but in Glo bug yarn material. With Glo bug yarn, I tie the classic 3 loop sucker spawn in size 10 to 16.

I also have dyed pearl diamond braid in shrimp, chratreuse, orange, blue and crystal color, for crystal meth flies. I use 2 strands of materials for size 12 and 14. I will post picture soon.

Now I have to tie streamers (wooly buggers and sucking leechs), and others nymphs like green caddis and black stonefly. Even in november (mostly eggs patterns), steelheads and browns eat nymph ? or only eggs ?