The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Re: Material for Sucker spawn : Angora yarn vs Glo Bug yarn ?

A Blood Dot Sucker spawn, with cheese glo bug yarn.

Once wet, and with help of the Sun, the fly look pretty good.

Click the image to open in full size.

From this video (great tutorial !)

Can you guys upload some picts of your eggs patterns ?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Material for Sucker spawn : Angora yarn vs Glo Bug yarn ?

I'll try later this week when I get home.
ben664 likes this.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

These are some of my most productive egg patterns. This is pic heavy.

Blood Dot--tie them very sparse and you'll get a great translucent effect which is ideal for lower and clear water. I tie the natural colors this way. For water with good flow and color, I use hot colors and tie them a little more dense. I mostly stick with #14 hooks and sometimes tie them as though I'm tying on a #16. Bigger hook, less material.

Sucker Spawn--angora. One cut of yarn, separate the three strands and tie them into one fly.

Krystal Meth/Krystal Spawn--I like mine with one row of diamond braid but it's not bad to have a few with 2 rows for higher water.

This one is tied on a #16

Scrambled egg with a tungsten bead and one single strand of krystal flash in the center.

This is a sucker spawn of sorts but tied with micro glo bug yarn. I lash the yarn down and pull the different colored to the other side to get the alternating colored effect.

Last but not least, my egg box. The key with eggs is have a variety of colors for the variable conditions of water flow and weather. Sometimes you need natural colors, sometime you need hot colors. Don't be afraid to experiment and make tweaks. Sometimes that can make all the difference in the world.

HuronRiverDan and ben664 like this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 02-09-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Hi Jaybo ! Thanks for the pictures

Nice fly boxes ! Little by little, I filled my fly box too.

The material show on pict 1 and 7 is micro bug yarn ?

I have also Crystal meth, but with 2 strands. I have to try with only one.

I suppose that finding the good egg color, is like finding the good insect color for dry fly ? Is the color depend on the time of year ? (for exemple orange or cheese for late oct/nov) or there are no specific rules ? Maybe depend on water level...
Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 PM

Not a problem Ben, glad to give you some ideas!

Sorry about the confusion, I actually noticed that I was missing 2 photos--which have since been updated.

For the first photo of the Blood Dot and the sixth photo of the Scrambled Egg I use regular Glo Bug Yarn. McFly Foam also works good too. I cut the Glo Bug Yarn into 1-2 inch strips then separate that strip into 4 or more pieces depending on how translucent and sparse I want the fly to be.

What are now the 8th and 9th photos is where I used the Micro Glo Bug yarn. One strand of "Egg" color and one strand of whatever you like. I recommend peach, orange, blue, chartreuse, pink tied in with the "Egg" color.

As for colors, when it's low and clear I stick with natural/light/pale colors for the most part but will also try hot colors if I'm not getting takes just to mix it up. At dawn and dusk, my go to colors are blue and chartreuse. When the water gets colored I tend to go with larger profile/dense materials and usually in vibrant colors in hopes that something I throw stands out. Of course the amount of clouds/sun can have an impact too but I'm sure you are probably familiar with that aspect of things fishing for trout.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 PM

Of course the amount of clouds/sun can have an impact too but I'm sure you are probably familiar with that aspect of things fishing for trout.

Sure ! in my local stream, I fish most of the time with dry flies. There are differents hatches depend of the sun light. With little rain and cloudy days, we have a lot of mayflies With the sun, caddis flies, on the end of the day

For egg flies, I mostkly tie with regular glo bug yarn. But, I wasn't familiar with tying these flies, and put a lot of materials (for sucker spawn). Now, I know that less material is better for realistic, and translucents fly, with "dot".

About size, I see on the web, that size 10 and 12 are basic sizes for the Salmon river

I will send more pictures of my flies, let see what do you think off !
Old 02-24-2013, 12:19 PM

Here I go !

Lot of time on WE to tie some flies, due to bad weather.

We have here:

General view of sucker spawn; crystal meth and Otter soft eggs (# 10 12 and few 14)

Stoneflies, Caddis, Nuclear eggs and Estaz flies (# 8 10 and 12)

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

A closer view.

If you have suggestions about colors, and the way to tie, please tell me how you are doing.

A "prototype" fly; not sure if it's working (tie with the same material than crystal meth, and veil)
HuronRiverDan and jaybo41 like this.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 PM

joesacc is on a distinguished road

the eggs make sense for sure