The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 05:30 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Material for Sucker spawn : Angora yarn vs Glo Bug yarn ?

Hi !

When you guys are tying some sucker spawn for steelheading in Great lakes trib, what material are u using ? Glo bug yarn or angora rabbit yarn ? I think that the "official" material is angora, but I saw some flies made with Glo bug yarn, and looks very good once wet.

Now I've tied like 50 sucker spawn with glo bug yarn from white to orange, to chartreuse, blue, pink, ect...

Is a material is better than an other ?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Material for Sucker spawn : Angora yarn vs Glo Bug yarn ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben664 View Post
Hi !

When you guys are tying some sucker spawn for steelheading in Great lakes trib, what material are u using ? Glo bug yarn or angora rabbit yarn ? I think that the "official" material is angora, but I saw some flies made with Glo bug yarn, and looks very good once wet.

Is a material is better than an other ?

Thanks
I used estaz in pink and chartreuse as well as angora yarn in pink and salmon. Hope that helps.

-Ian
ben664 likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

angora yarn or micro estaz chenille

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Ok, thanks. Anybody ty with glo bug yarn ?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

seen them tied like that, you just need to separate the yarn in to two strands. Or you can add a third strand of a different color down the middle.
ben664 likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Angora is a staple but I also tie with Glo Bug's Micro Yarn. It's smaller in diameter than standard Glo Bug's Yarn and in my opinion easier to work with when using to tie Sucker Spawn.

I like Glo Bug yarn for Blood Dots and scrambled eggs and McFly Foam for Glo Bug.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than the traditional egg patterns, I would use an otter egg pattern.

Click the image to open in full size.

Otter egg with a glass bead in the center to imitate an embyo egg.

Gary Borger » Blog Archive » Otter’s Embryo Eggs

Gary Borger » Blog Archive » Sperm & Egg Fly

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-19-2013, 03:22 PM

Hi Silver,

I have some of these Otter's eggs, in 8 and 6 mm, chartreuse, apricot, buff and blue. I'm also looking for reviews of these flies. Very few reviews on the net...better with low and clear water ?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:39 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Gary has fishing reports from this past fall on his blog. Just search on his blog with "otter egg".

I tied up some "Gorman egg" patterns for a friend and he said they worked really well on steelhead. We traded home made beer for flies but I haven't gotten my beer yet so maybe my flies did not work.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't fished or tied the Otter Eggs, but I do have some. I've heard that if you keep different colored eggs together in a box, they can bleed together. That makes me wonder if they could bleed onto other flies. Maybe that's been corrected with newer versions of the product?

I've had and fished Moe eggs and clear singles. I tied the singles with the colored glue sticks, bead underneath. I never did all that well with them, but those natural looking flies are ones to fish for low and clear water.

The Blood Dot is a staple of mine and if tied sparse gives off the translucency that you'd expect in an egg. I fish them during any water conditions, the natural colors are the go to's for low/clear. I also started to tie some of my Sucker Spawns and Scrambled Eggs with beads to help get them down in the zone.