The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 PM

pabrown_yb245 is on a distinguished road
Default Heddon 320 reel question

For the average Joe just learning do they perform good, should I spend $50 at Cabelos or Bass Pro for newer stuff or go with an old school reel.

I fish small streams in pa, I like the browns, on a 5w rod

Thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 07:08 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heddon 320 reel question

Welcome to the forum! Go with what you feel comfortable with! I use older model reels as well as new stuff. Everybody has their own idea about what feels right. Its a personal thing. The reel isn't going to make that much of a difference for small stream trout fishing it's the rod that will!

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

I fish small streams in Pa as well and have used a variety of rods and reel combos from old to new! Have a little beauty of one near the house with a good population of wild brownies!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the info, that makes me feel good!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

For the fish you're going for I doubt the reel matters much. Where it might matter is if the spool or frame are warped at all and the line can get caught between them or the spool sticks when it turns. Also if the reel's foot doesn't fit well on your reel seat.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Do you mean the old Heddon 300 series that was a Japanese knock-off of the Hardy Lightweight series?

If so, they are nice, sturdy reels, but the smaller 310 might be a little better match for a 5 weight than the 320. (If you can find one.)
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Model-----------Capacity--------------Diameter (inch)
300------- DT2 + 40m/WF3 + 55m------2 3/4
310------- DT4 + 40m/WF5 + 55m------2 7/8
320------- DT5 + 65m/WF6 + 70m------3 3/16
Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Do you mean the old Heddon 300 series that was a Japanese knock-off of the Hardy Lightweight series?

If so, they are nice, sturdy reels, but the smaller 310 might be a little better match for a 5 weight than the 320. (If you can find one.)

Good info, thanks, I just don't all the info, I like the look of them, one is listed on ebay.